Fucking hum

I have just plugged a Yamaha AX-596 into my system, it sounds great with CD, blueray etc but the TT either directly into the on board phono stage or using my phono stage into aux input causes horrendous him :angry: Any suggestions, preferably helpful ones :roll_eyes:

Unplug it :+1:

7 Likes

I’d wear some decent ear plugs

1 Like

Hilarious as expected :zipper_mouth_face:

Check the phono leads. I use an Audio Note SUT. I connect the earth lead from the T/T to the SUT and get hum. I connect the earth from the SUT to the spare earth terminal on my phono stage and the hum fecks off. Get as much distance between amp and SUT as possible. This is an opportunity for faff.

Ooooh get you! :kissing_heart:

:raccoon:

Presumably your previous setup didn’t hum with the current TT. Were you using the same outboard phono stage then that you’ve now tried with the AX-596. If so, is that phono stage powered via a 3-core mains lead or by some other arrangement (2-core mains, separate power supply, batteries etc).

If you connect the TT direct to the amp’s internal phono stage and listen to that, does the hum go away if you unplug the TT from the mains ?

VB

Is that what your customers call you?:grin:

Yes Graeme everything is the same, PS powered by a 12v supply, hums through the on board PS as well. If I unplug the TT it reduce the hum, but still quite loud.

Tis’ fucked.

1 Like

You are BumTel and I claim my £5 :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Has the cartridge come into contact with anything woollen by any chance?:smiling_imp:

4 Likes

It looks from the schematics (available here https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/ax-596.shtml) as if the Yamaha is wired without connnection to the mains earth - just a 2-core mains lead. This is not unusual in Japanese kit.

It could just be that with this amp and your TT and outboard phono stage nothing is earthed in the signal part of your system any more, so the shielding that the sensitive phono wiring needs is not nearly so effective.

If it were me I’d try running a wire from the Ground stud (I think there should be one above the Phono input) to some metal object that you know is grounded. If you have an old-fashioned mains plug you could open that, take the earth pin out and push it into the earth socket on a handy 13A wall outlet. I AM SURE YOU KNOW WHICH OF THE THREE HOLES IS THE EARTH - BUT IF YOU’RE NOT THEN CHECK FIRST !

VB

You could just wire it to the earth pin in a plug then put the top back on then plug the plug in - it would be just as quick maybe quicker and reduce the risk of shock by accidental touching

Sell it and stop buying tat. Surely you should be Kondo by now.

:thinking:

Thanks Graeme and Andy, I will give it a go later on :warning:

If it makes you feel any better I have a hum too. I think it’s the arm.

1 Like

Well with the phono stage connected I tried the amp earth to mains earth, no difference. I connected the eart on the arm lead to the amp earth rather than the PS earth, hum halved but only coming from left channel. Took PS out, connected TT to amps Phono input, reduced hum from right channel only :thinking: