Gigs I'm going to. The Gyroscope diaries

Spaceflutage in a jazz stylee is fine by me. It is the proggy wankflute that I can’t abide.

Saw them at the same venue last year, excellent :grinning:

Wasn’t he a character in Harry Potter?

2 Likes

I thought it was Jacob Rees-Mogg’s wet nurse ?

1 Like

94!

Other venues announced, I can recommend him live :+1:

2 Likes

Tonight I’ll be at the legendary Percy’s in Whitchurch, Shropshire. Unless they’ve taken out an injunction I’ll be playing bass.

2 Likes

@htm_1968 I noticed this in SOTU in London might be worth checking out if they’re playing a bit more local.

2 Likes

They are playing in MCR in May but I am (health permitting) going to see Dead Can Dance in Portugal with the bloke who was my best man at the same time.

2 Likes

We’re just back from a long weekend in London with my Mum and as part of that we took her to Ronnie Scott’s on Friday night.

It is purely co-incidental of course that Sounds Of The Universe (hence record bag) is about 10 mins away :grinning:

As Friday was the only night we could get tickets we saw the first show by The Kyle Eastwood Band.

There was a lot of serendipity once inside as we realised that it is the 60th anniversary of the club and it would have been the 60th anniversary of my Mum & Dad’s wedding and almost to the day as well (a few tears were shed :cry:).

Having never listened to him before and fearing it would be shit, I was slightly apprehensive that it would be a let-down as my Mum was really excited about it - but thankfully I didn’t need to worry.

There was an excellent warm-up group, which my Mum loved, as they played a lot of old standards but The Eastwood Band were a shock. I freely admit to a large dose of musical snobbery on my part before hand but they blew me away - an absolutely tremendous set.

He played a few of his own compositions and a mix of standards but the highlight was a quite remarkable 11 minute version of Mingus’ Boogie Stop Shuffle. Not many people would attempt such a Mingus classic but he absolutely nailed it. He is an amazing bass player in his own right so I doff my Pork Pie Hat to him.

Also, afterwards in the foyer he was signing autographs and chatting away and we managed to get him to sign a CD for my Mum. :+1:

I can honestly say it is one of the best venues I’ve ever been in. We had supposedly restricted view seats, which were in the corner near the door, but they were great and the sound was tremendous.

The venue sound engineer was constantly walking around and adjusting the levels so the overall sound was perfectly balanced with each instrument clearly defined. The waiting staff were superb as well - a very well-oiled and very discreet machine.

Now I know why the Live at Ronnie Scott’s albums sound so good - what an absolute treat.

15 Likes

Great stuff :+1:

1 Like

I’ve only been to Ronnie Scott’s once, to see Billy Cobham. It really was a sublime evening.

2 Likes

Have only been once in 1977 but it was upstairs to see a punk band as the group at the marquee had to cancel at the last minute

All I remember were punks whacking their heads on the lights above pogoing as they were very low

1 Like

Would loved to have seen this there

I saw him a few years ago in Glasgow - he was amazing and had the place bouncing.

Ronnie Scott’s is worth keeping an eye on as there are gigs every night both upstairs and downstairs.

I noticed amongst the others - Bugge Wesseltoft, Harold Mabern and Al Di Meola ( @MGOwner ) are playing in May.

2 Likes

Yes. I get the newsletters but sadly rarely get to the west end to go

Took all the great venues for granted when I lived there

In all the years I’ve been visiting London it’s the first time I’ve ever been - it won’t be the last tho’.

1 Like

Great write up, I haven’t been to Ronnie Scott’s. Really need to put that right sometime.

1 Like

Me too

Sold out :pleading_face: