Had my car stolen

My sister’s car was nicked off her drive a few years back by people who turned up in the middle of the night, copied the fob code and then used it to open the car and drive it away. The fob was in her kitchen at the back of the house, but they had an electronics box capable of reading it from the front. They parked it in a side street 50 miles away for a week, so if it had a tracker it would have been recovered without them being caught. It didn’t, but stupidly they hadn’t changed the plates and they’d driven it there on main roads, so the police simply followed it using ANPR. Not sure why they didn’t wait for the scum to come back for it.

Yep it’s called relay car theft and it’s pretty common, especially with range rovers.

My ex neighbours had a Range Rover and more than once found things had ‘mysteriously’ gone missing from inside the boot of their car. They were quite blase about the fact that electronic locked cars could be opened.

I retract my original statement of the “Police are not bothered”
A few friends who are related to police officers have relayed a message saying they have asked them to keep their eyes open and ANPR may help pick it up.
So I apologise for my poor judgement, I guess we feel helpless and angry, it’s not the fault of the Police but the criminals that took it.
Thanks all of you for your kind words earlier it was very much appreciated.

12 Likes

My sister’s was (still is, in fact) a Range Rover Disco.

Still only mates who happen to be Police Officers though Unfortunately, no real surprise there, eh ?

Tough Shit Tim😞

Forgive yourself Tim, I understand your response (FWLIW), police responses to crimes like this are too often suboptimal. In the same week that I had a visit from officers looking for witnesses and CCTV footage of a pair of criminals who were B&E various local premises, I encountered the same pair on a stolen moped at 1am while I was walking the dogs, and saw them on the return leg outside a premises they were ‘casing’. I called the number I’d been given - and was told not to worry, they were sure it was nothing… Three more premises were then robbed-out before the pair moved to a different area. They’re still ‘at large’, robbing and causing damage…

1 Like

Think I shall pop a tracker tag in the expensive motor, for 20 quid and a chance of finding the motor if nicked.

Yeah I will definitely look into a tracker for next. With all the tech in modern cars you’d think they would all be made with a built in tracker by now.
I guess the thieves would find a way around that too.

What have the insurance said mate? How quickly will they pay out? Oh and don’t accept their first offer…

1 Like

They said they would make an offer as soon as possible probably within a week. I’m researching prices and a friend who works in the business has offered to get me an accurate valuation. The issue might be that a replacement in same specs is significantly more than we paid for it. All I can do is wait and see what they say next week.

3 Likes

I found information on how to deal with insurance companies and claims useful:

Best of luck with getting your car back or a suitable settlement.

2 Likes

Strikes me as more their issue than yours, but I’ve not dealt with car insurance to that extent. I’m sure they’ll be cunts.

1 Like

This makes me rethink the idea of getting a locking post fitted in the drive, a decent one costs £500 but the hassle of getting your car stolen is starting to make it sound like a worthwhile spend. Shitty thing to happen Tim, hope it goes ok with the claim

1 Like

It’s going to be policy dependent, fingers crossed they go ‘like for like’.

1 Like

Ouch Tim😒