Headphone recos please

I really don’t like wearing headphones, but picked up an almost new pair of b&w p3 for £30
Sound pretty good and pretty comfortable
Good enough for my late night you tube crime watching and music

1 Like

I use Audioquest Nighthawk, super comfy non fatiguing sound, open back with proper drive units like speakers £250.

The closed back version is called the Nightowl Carbon also £250.

https://personal.audioquest.com/driver-technology

1 Like

I use the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro open back - love 'em and they are comfy as a comfy thing even for extended listening.

There is a closed back version as well

3 Likes

Also available in Teribil edition.

1 Like

Get a Porsche (and some IEMs)

3 Likes

IEMs sound superior to me. I almost always feel disappointed whenever I try headphones.

1 Like

Go to headfi and ask.
And you will get the right answer!

1 Like

No piece of good advice has ever started with these three words, save perhaps the answer to, “Where can I find all of the most execrable people with an interest in audio in one convenient place?”

3 Likes

Currently thinking that going to bricks and mortar in New Malden is probably best on several levels

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/headphones/

They know their stuff though, and if you want a rec at a type and price point you will get it!

Another vote for the P7 here. I auditioned as many hi-end closed backs as I could, comparing against them with the intention of upgrading.
The only models that stood shoulders above were LCD XC and Sennheiser HD820, both budget-breaking.
Also consider the Audeze are heavy, couldn’t imagine wanting to wear them for 7 hours or so daily.

If you can get away with open back you’ll save a fortune to get the same quality, and be more comfortable wearing for long periods IMO

2 Likes

I’ve got a pair of HiFiMan HE400i that you could borrow for a few weeks to try the cheaper end of planar headphones, sounded very nice with the Chord Mojo I had.

Edit: Not trying to sell them, I would want them back. :grinning:

1 Like

Could you not velcro a pair of bookshelves on your shoulders?

3 Likes

Back to this.

The Audeze LCD-1 look like they hit the spot. But they’re GBP 400 here and USD 400 over there. Any recommended vendors (other than watching for a cheap pair on eBay)?

Thanks in advance.