Hearing Aids

Dig her up…

This thread popped up as a suggestion and as my hearing isn’t great i read it and googled about.

The ones SJS recommended look like they might have been updated.

https://www.oticon.co.uk/professionals/blog/2018/oticon-opn-hearing-aid-is-music-to-musicians-ears

https://www.oticon.co.uk/professionals/products/hearing-aids/opn-s

1 Like

I’m just reading this thread with interest. I lost 95% of the hearing in my right ear about 12 years ago after an accident playing football. I saw a consultant who was particularly shit and said nothing could be done.

I went to see a private audiologist yesterday who was FAR better and revealed that I also had hearing loss in my good ear (LOTS of nightclub visits and some gigs I suspect). He’s advised me to go and see another consultant before considering either one or two aids. I’m 46…

My 87 yr old mother had her ears micro suctioned and the size and amount of the detritus that came out was flaberghasting. Its well worth having a regular check up. Just like you would with the dentist. He didn’t charge me for the hour consultation I had. I tried to insist on paying him but he refused. The hearing test he did on me was FAR superior to the one I had with the NHS.

1 Like

Are you sure you just didn’t hear him right :grin: ? (Only joking, obvs).

My hearing is quite asymmetric too, possibly as a result of an incident at work. It can be much improved when the wax is, every so often, removed although the process can temporarily affect my balance.

VB

1 Like

Doctors have always given me the impression that ear syringing is something that should be avoided if possible.

There’s a risk. There are also benefits. The doctors have to deal with any consequences of the risk but they don’t get any of the benefits. I’m afraid my experience of the world in general, and depressingly many doctors too, is that they look out to quite a large extent for themselves when I really want them to look out 100% for me.

VB

2 Likes

I think its pretty much always micro suction these days rather that syringing. I’ve edited my post.

I haven’t had mine done for a couple of years but it was syringing then.

It’s worrying when the warm water being syringed into the left ear starts to come out of the right, although suction would probably remove the few remaining grey cells I have between them. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Ultrasonic shit these days at my surgery.

Saw them in a double header with Mogwai at The Camp and Furnance in Liverpool a few years back. Only lived up to the second half of their name though.

3 Likes

I get mine vacuumed each year now. Miles better then syringing, no need to put drops in for weeks before either. He takes before and after photos and sometimes the crap he digs out is embarrassing :disappointed:

Our chemist said just put olive oil in for a few weeks. It worked.

2 Likes

That’s what my doctor recommends but still have the ultrasonic thingy to make sure.

Depends on how bad they’ve got. Beyond a certain point the oil can’t get in to soften it, the little hoover just drags it out. Olive oil can help stop it building up again though.

Extra virgin?

You won’t find one of them round here!

1 Like

Pardon?

1 Like

1 Like

Not even Olive? :thinking:

1 Like