Hell in a hand cart

That’s amazing. It shouldn’t be, but it is. Sadly I’m at the opposite end. I ADORE flying. And I feel really guilty about the amount I’ve done in the last decade. A lot of long weekends to the States, I’m ashamed to say. About as bad as it gets.

i hate it now. I used to love it, but i spent 10+ years of my career taking 50-60 flights a year and i learned to loath it. I really struggle these days with flying.

they should carbon tax the fuck out of business flying.

2 Likes

Yes, sort of wished we could of afforded it when I was a kid. But ended up with a ridiculous fear of it.
Even going to an airport to pick someone up makes me feel pretty sick.

It seems in many ways, people are trying to go back to the 60s/70s minus the coal.

1 Like

I don’t know if I ever took 50 flights in a year. But in the busiest spell I had when we lived in Straya I made 5 trips to the states, 2 to S.E. Asia and 6 to Europe within a calendar year. There was domestic travel involved too. I detest long haul flying, particularly Melbourne - LAX which is about 14 hours non stop. It is a killer as you cross the date line and arrive not too long after you left on the same day.

to be honest i ended up losing count., but i was in India 4 or 5 time a year - SE Asia (HKG, Malaysia, Singapore etc etc) same, Bangla a couple of times…Gulf States, Africa…

1 Like

A side effect of Covid is that most organisations have transitioned into online meetings etc much faster than they might have done.
People don’t travel to meetings, mileage is down, flights are down. overnight stays are down.
Covid is green!

1 Like

Covid has also cut the population down a bit, Although perhaps not as much as some had hoped. Maybe CV-23 will do things properly.

More out of interest, but I did see on a grand design that a double glazed unit in wooden frame had been approved for use in Grade1 listed buildings. The company was based in Edinburgh, in this particular GD it was approved for use by Bath city council planners on a Gr1 building, admittedly said building was in an outlying Down, was an ex industrial building and the planners did say it didn’t set a precedent for other Gr1 buildings. A shame, as the panel used thin, coated glass, overall depth was only 10mm.

Gr2 listed is less of an issue, plenty of solutions available, but again at planners discretion.

1 Like

Mine is conservation area, locally listed rather than national grade 2, but it was easy enough to get double glazed sash windows that look almost identical to the originals.

You’ll never get the same ‘character’ of reflection in the glass - modern stuff is flat! But apart from that it does the job, and really reduces heat loss and noise.

Yep, it’s a mixed bag here, I’d prefer to go through planning, but they take 18 months to respond to anything, and then automatically say no to everything, because the sole bod responsible has no listed buildings background or training…

So the entire front aspect will retain the single-pane original glass, the sides will be so-called ‘heritage grade’ thin-unit DG, and the back triple glazed. All will be mounted in wooden frames - which will be refurbed originals where those still exist, or replacements in the original style (rather than the cheap 1970s soft pine Wimpeys style garbage).

The building was listed in 1950, so the listing is vague and the previous owners made no effort whatsoever to preserve originality (adding new doorways, replacing slate tiles with concrete Marley tiles, adding conservatory, &c, &c, ad naus.).

There’s a big risk this will end-up hurting us, but if we don’t push-on the hurt will just hit us differently…

We did get hold of some heritage glass in Jersey for the numerous sash windows. Wasn’t cheap, but looked good.
The windows rattled badly and the Jersey Trust people insisted on keeping everything original.
They were a bit stumped in one of the rooms as it had 3 different types of skirting board grafted in over decades.

The windows were routered and thickish draught excludes fitted.

Friend fitted new wooden sash windows 15 years ago, and the sills are fucked. We fitted upvc sash windows 11 years ago which still look fine as you’d expect, and cost the same as wooden ones.
I’m all for keeping original looking stuff on older properties, but if they can’t deal with basic weather, then an alternative is needed.

1 Like

Have sex with the planning commissioners wife. It is the only way.

1 Like

I think I would have just replaced the lot and ignored planning. It is an issue that needs resolving nationally. If Edinburgh can accept these new panels for it’s G1 buildings then others should. Some won’t even let owners fit internal secondary glazing if the interior is also G1. The ridiculous element is that none of these old G1 buildings, typically Georgian, have either the original glass nor wooden frames. They’ve all been replaced several times over.

3 Likes

Jaysus, it’s Sodders we’re talking about here. More chance of fucking the knot in a tree.

2 Likes

There’s a Tudor house in the high st that’s just been fitted with double glazing. Sympathetic double glazing… But metal framed!

1 Like

I need one of these at home.

4 Likes

Get NEST, keep the fact that you have an app on your phone that controls the temp remotely to yourself👍

3 Likes

Ours is only Grade II but retains all its original sash windows and glass which are large and rattle like fuck. Last time EH came round I asked about DG, no no, asked about secondary glazing,no no. Asked about routed draught excluders, no no. The only thing acceptable was temporary adhesive furry strips. Ours is one of five houses built by the church which is also listed and the most original of the five. Due to this the EH guy was adamant that even if the originals eventually needed replacement they would insist on hand crafted heritage copies exactly the same as the originals including the glass.
It’s not planning that decide this shit it’s the heritage inspector responsible for an area. Local planning are sympathetic but won’t budge on what EH dictate here.

2 Likes

I have Nest and the app on my phone. Problem is I can’t stare at it 24/7

While on holiday in Portugal a few weeks ago one of the party got a message from his girlfriend asking him to turn the heating up as the app had crashed on her phone.
She had no idea she could adjust the knob on the wall.

3 Likes