Heroes of our time

Which makes your hateboner all the more odd. What evidence do you have that she is a spoiled brat and how do you think this makes her unqualified and unentitled to deliver the message?

The assertion that she is “over-emotional” seem a bit odd given that a) she has a form of Asperger’s that may make her seem to react a little differently from the ‘norm’ and b) you’ve absolutely lost your shit about her and should be the last person to cry over-emotional.

6 Likes

8 Likes

Alternatively, and perhaps more aptly given your Clarkson approval:

11 Likes

Should the world wait until a perfect personality cries a rallying call before action is taken?

2 Likes

Absolutely - I’m a delicate flower, as you well know.

And precisely what instant and effective action do you expect to be taken thanks to dear Greta’s pronouncements and scary stare?

I strongly suspect her actions will result in absolutely bugger all happening and the only winners will be companies who make placards.

Seriously, stop now.

10 Likes

Awareness changes attitudes and drives action, otherwise please tell me the fucking point of your job, for example.

I can’t believe I had to point that out to a journalist. What a clanger.

3 Likes

She has stimulated debate and drawn global attention to the issue(s) She has become an opinion former, she is the current voice of a growing number of concerned people. Yourself excluded, because you seem to align yourself to a column inch grabbing, self centered loud mouth with a humor tumor - Bravo.

8 Likes

Actually stop 5 or 6 posts back would have been better. He’ll regret it when he sobers up.

2 Likes

Indeed, and let’s hope it leads to action. I do wonder with the present set of cockwombles in global power, whether it’ll have impact. What we need are some politicians willing to act (globally), to coincide with the young people getting to voting age.

It will be people that drive politicians, ultimately.

of course, but we need some gooduns to emerge first. If the current shower of shit (all sides) stick around for much longer we will be permanently fucked

1 Like

Trump, Bolsonaro and Modi were all elected, so there are people (voters indeed) who will put their own interests ahead of the global population’s. Xi is a dictator. In principle even they can be brought down if enough people turn against them. But that would have to be a lot of people, and he’s promising them a first-world future so they might not be minded to rise up any time soon.

VB

I think you need to get over somebody else (younger ?) being right.

It’s not the words that count as much as the (call to) action. Nobody else has achieved anywhere near as much action or awareness, not even the often sanctimonious scientists.

3 Likes

Modern day heroes, I’d nominate, amongst others, Jayne Senior and Sara Rowbothom for working tirelessly to expose the issue of child abuse where it was both known about and ignored by various authorities.

Mods you can feel proud of :+1:
Very well put M.

4 Likes

I don’t do heroes but Greta is an inspiration to her generation, rather than criticise her it would be better to ask why it took the solitary actions of one schoolgirl to motivate her generation. As a father of two kids not much younger than her I feel a debt of gratitude that she is igniting the youth to stand up and point the finger of blame at those perpetuating the problem.

8 Likes

I would be delighted if my child achieved something like that. To think, she has all but destroyed her chances of a career in accountancy.

8 Likes

Whoever the State Department whistleblower is.
Hope Giuliani, Barr, Pompeo, and Pence enjoy life in prison :slightly_smiling_face:
I can’t wait for the day (and you just know its coming) when Trump comes out and announces “Rudy . . . I never actually met Rudy. Rudy did some legal work for me . . . a very small amount of legal work. I have many lawyers . . . you’ll have to ask Rudy about those meetings”

4 Likes