Hifi component packaging

Quick bit of advice sought, I’ve struggled over the last couple of days to buy/find decent cardboard boxes for shipping of a CD player.

Anyone found a decent source for boxes/packaging?

Or, if anyone has any going spare I am travelling north east from Warwickshire today, heading to Hartlepool so could collect. Happy to pay!

Last time I built an MDF box, but seems overkill for shipping within UK.

When I sold my Arcam amps I got 2 boxes (one bigger than the other to enable double boxing) from a local storage place, they were only a couple of quid each, but quite sturdy. They obvs weren’t component sized, but they did the job with a load of foam and peanuts.

Maybe a removal firm might be able to help too?

1 Like

I’m going to head to a similar place locally this morn, see what I can find, thanks @Rob998

1 Like
1 Like

Etha Foam and double walled boxes x2.

2 Likes

Pah, like you know anything about shipping delicate hifi about the place :rofl:

Banana box from the co op
Ideally with bananas removed or they can get shirty

5 Likes

I do feel there is mileage in a YouTube channel testing the packing potential of various fruits. Pack delicate thing thoroughly in bananas / cherries / apples etc and then expose to the full remit of courier damage techniques, including the “over the fence lob” and the legendary “drop on a corner from 10 feet”, plus as a bonus round “how long does it survive when left under a leaky drainpipe in a thunderstorm”

Banana boxes are my choice of weapon in the back of the shop stakes.

Occasionally we use a plastic crate for sending more expensive items.The ones Halfords have with the lids and similar *

Then wrapped in black cling film,though dpd did fine us £15 a couple of times as it fucks up there conveyor belt system apparently

• i and this forum do not encourage taking such crates left out the back even when they are shut
3 Likes

One of the boxes offered by Big Yellow Self Storage is quite close to a 2U hifi box. Just don’t buy their bubblewrap at ONE MILLION DOLLARS per metre.

1 Like

Banana boxes are OK if the plastic corner straps are still with them.

Personally I would use satsuma boxes - especially in the run up to Xmas - they’re very strong and have reinforced corners.

:+1:

1 Like

I used lettuce boxes to send a streamer. It’s best to remove the produce first. Hope that helps. :+1:

1 Like

This thread needs renaming. Genius. I have found one decent box for the outer, just need to go and see Pete Beale in the morning and I’m sorted.