HMV tits up again. Bricks & mortar retailing is it fucked?

There are so many levels here, I don’t know where to begin.

Yes I know, just a bit ranty today.

At this point I should also apologise for not having introduced myself earlier, having loitered around here for some time. I’m Andrew & I live in eastern France. I’d have loved to attend some of the bakeoffs but it’s rare that I’m in the UK & I’m not sure I’d get permission to fly over for the weekend to drink with like-minded people…
Anyway I greatly enjoy reading the forum.

9 Likes

Good to hear from you - but given the dire choice between Amazon and HMV I think I’d go online, if only because they don’t go bust every ten minutes and I have an aversion to kids with worthless gift cards after Christmas…

1 Like

You’re right, it’s reliable, cheap and you can buy anything you want. My fear is that it’s becoming the only place where many people buy stuff. I’m fairly sure that’s not a good development.

1 Like

This.

Actually, I went into HMV today after my trip to Probe. Probe was cheaper than HMV for the Gary Numan/Subway Army reissues. However, I got the Beth Gibbon & Rustin Man ‘Out of Season’ reissue for a reasonable £20 and the North Mississippi All-Stars LP for £14.99. HMV was packed and had a decent vibe, which was surprising.

Decent day shopping all round as I got a missing Stereolab thing on the cheap in Dig Vinyl (Oscilliations from the Anti-Sun CD Box set). Felt a bit rong TM buying CDs, but there you go.

1 Like

Like Tubeway Army, but with sandwiches?

7 Likes

I haz da hedd full of fluff today…and everyday…:grimacing:

Welcome to the world of 21st century retail.

Once things have settled down the internet will probably turn out to have been a useful step forward, like fire, the wheel, movable type, piped water etc, etc. But in the initial stages it may do a fair bit of harm. There are people who believe stuff they read on Facebook, apparently.

VB