HMV tits up again. Bricks & mortar retailing is it fucked?

No I couldn’t say that because (i) I haven’t owned a CD player since 2006 and (ii) I haven’t tried to hear a decent CD transport as they strike me as a waste of time.

I prefer to stream, and using a decent DAC (I use an Aesthetix Pandora) I’ve got something verging on satisfactory using a Lumin streamer (and a bunch of Raspberry Pi based devices around the house). I would almost always prefer to play an LP though.

1 Like

When I used to care about hifi, this was a real hobbyhorse of mine. Think about what a CD transport does, how it does it and the data/signal path. Ask yourself how could streamed data be inferior?

5 Likes

I could help you out there. I have a CD player I dont want to sell, it looks nice

Do you stream?

Yes, started in 2008.

Less faff. Faff is good.

It’s about targeted faff. I faff with records, my digital just works and can be safely operated drunk.

1 Like

I was merely stating how it could possibly be worse. All I could come up with.

1 Like

I began digital faff on monday - So far I have removed the lid of the DAC to shout at it more directly. - Digital faff impossible? Send £10 to ask me how.

2 Likes

I’ve got a decent CD transport, I’m not spending more on streamers etc. I’ll get a raspberry pi.

Have you tried the USB directly into the DAC yet?

1 Like

Yes But needs a driver of some sort I think?

Ah yes, forgot. Worth asking AN what it needs?

1 Like

You rag, bilady?

Send them an email

Don’t think I’ve had a CD player as such for about a decade. Everything is ripped, well nearly as I have a few SACDs and DVD audio discs which get popped into an Oppo transport with HDMI split audio output into my DAC. Almost never get played though.

Faff is largely confined to tape and stuff.

Glad it’s not my last £1 in HMV…

‘UK sales of physical media, including CDs, DVDs and games, shrank by nearly 11% in the year to 25 August, according to market analysts Kantar. In video – mainly DVDs – sales plunged 28%.

‘HMV’s share of the market sank three percentage points to 14.4% in the three months to 30 June, compared with the same quarter in 2018. But HMV’s loss was Amazon’s gain, because the internet giant’s market share climbed by nearly the same amount and it now accounts for £1 out of every £4 spent on physical entertainment products.’

Beats me how anyone who has even the most frugal smattering of intelligence buys anything on Amazon.

2 Likes

Easter Island syndrome.