Holidays

A friend from Switzerland wants to book a holiday cottage on the Gower peninsula. I’ve been out of the uk for decades & so I’ve got no idea which firms are worth dealing with.

Has anyone got any recommendations please?

Or just the usual suspects, booking/airbnb/etc?

Cottages.com usually have the best condition properties for self catering, Sykes have others but our experience is that they can be a bit ropier.

1 Like

We rented a Sykes cottage last year in Cornwall, it was excellent.

2 Likes

Another vote for Sykes, not had a duff one yet.

3 Likes

Flights booked for London → Hamburg and Berlin → London. Just need to fill in hotels and a Hamburg → Berlin ICE probably on the Tuesday.

edit: Antwerp Centraal is probably the most handsome station in Europe but Berlin Hauptbahnhof is definitely the coolest. Looking forward to this.

We did the same holiday but in reverse in March 2011. A lot has changed since then.

1 Like

Keep an eye on strikes & network problems and maybe allow an hour or two extra - DB has a bit of a grim reputation at the moment…

1 Like

Yes, thank you.

I follow “The Man In Seat 61” because I am a European high-speed rail nerd so I get served a blow-by-blow account of their travails.

This will be September so hopefully it will have blown over by then.

2 Likes

Booked 10 days in Chania, Crete for September. Centre of the Old Town.

6 Likes

Shit-a-brick ! N has just decided that she wants a few days in Rethymno too, so flights changed to accommodate. Now some lodgings to find :roll_eyes:

We went to a wedding there years ago. My main memory is of all the local food being bloody excellent.

2 Likes

Really enjoyed Chania, we went back in Autumn 2019.

Certainly would recommend hiring a car, we got up early to drive to Balos beach before the tour boats turn up, and then left to go to Elafonissi beach as all the buses were leaving there!
Preveli beach is well worth a visit and there are some lovely quiet areas in the ‘mountains’ if you want to get away from the crowds.

3 Likes

I’ve just remembered that my mother’s first husband was shot in Souda Bay (ouch!) during the Battle of Crete. He survived but walked with a limp afterwards. Although he was a proper chancer so there’s a possibility that the limp wasn’t entirely authentic :laughing:

There’s random for you.

6 Likes

All sorted. Early BA flight out of LHR T5, so Sofitel booked. Long Stay parking at Purple.

Rethymno Town is 5 days Fly & Flop in an apartment with central location and swimming pool,
then 6 nights in Chania in an apartment in the Old Town (with a roof terrace) within staggering distance of the Venetian Harbour.

I can’t wait.

14 Likes

Off in the caravan tomorrow to Priddy for a few days.
Be nice that.

Be nice if the weather looked a bit better.

3 Likes

Off to the Gower for the long weekend, any tips off the beaten track suggestions . It’s a dog walking with teens weekend

1 Like

Planning a summer break in Copenhagen. Any hotel recommendations please @Craig @sjs and others of course. Boutiquey type stuff you know the drill.

I think Guy @murrayjohnson did a number of walks in this area a year or two or ago. Posted lots of details/photos as the time.

Found the first post.

1 Like

Will drop you a PM👍

(Is @sjs also in CPH???)

1 Like

No, but i have visited a few times, v nice place

2 Likes