Holidays

Minimum language required for any foreign trip

1. Two beers please
  2. Thankyou

Somewhere near Horncastle.
Hoping to find a few walks in the Lincs Wolds.

The Greenwich Meridian Trail passes through Hagworthingham (as does the meridian, pretty much) so you could tick off a few miles of that while you were there. If you managed 20 miles that would only leave 253 miles to collect :smile:.

1 Like

Got back home on Friday after an excellent two weeks in Japan, Tokyo, Kyoto,Kanazawa and Tokyo. Flew Premium Economy with ANA direct and glad we did as not sure I could cope with 13 hours in a economy seat even with reasonable seat pitch. Their premium economy has a nice 15" screen and a reasonable amount of stuff to watch. The food was passable and the same as economy, but did opt for the paid for option(only available out of Japan) on the return which was much better.

We stayed near Tokyo station for the first four days in a nice apartment hotel, this meant we could take it easy whist our body clocks adjusted and just spent time around various areas of Tokyo and a visit to to the Imperial Garden. We have done most of the museums on previous visits but just like the different vibes of Tokyo.

We then headed to Kyoto for 5 nights split across an apartment hotel and the Fauchon Hotel. The later was very nice especially the breakfast but we both agreed the decent sized apartment hotel was the better and cheaper bet. The Shinkansen train to Kyoto was a smooth as usual, and in fact as it’s so normal a bit of anti climax. Did get a great view of Fuji which is much more impressive than photos can convey. Photos seem to loose the impression 12000 ft of mountain in front of you gives.

In Kyoto we did spend a lot of time going round temples, gardens, Gion, the covered shopping/market area and day out to Nara. Loved all of it even if we had done most of it before. The tame deer in Nara Park are always a highlight, especially as they follow you if you have the special biscuits they sell to feed them.

We then headed over to Kanazawa for two nights and a full day. The train journey was fairly scenic along the way with some areas snow covered. In Kanazawa we stayed in the Hyatt House next to the station which is again an apartment hotel and was excellent value at £62 a night for a 40m2 room with kitchen etc. In Kanazawa we visited the castle and the stunning Kenrokuen Gardens with lots of plum blossom (a little early for Cherry). We also visited the Old Edo Town but was disappointment as most shops were closed during the week.

We then headed on the Shinkansen through the Japanese alps back to Tokyo for two more nights. Again this had very scenic parts although after about two hours you enter the vast Tokyo area.

The last two nights were spent in the very lovely Okura Tokyo, which was recently rebuilt but reproduced the amazing lobby from the original hotel and pictured at the end.

Overall we had a great time and was really glad to get away for the first time in 3.5 years. The flight is long but was manageable in a decent seat and the view coming back over Greenland certainly made up for having to avoid Russian airspace.

Below are a short sequence of iPhone photos in rough chronological order.

View towards Ginza from the first apartment hotel. Asscott.

Plum trees in a small garden near the hotel.

The not as impressive as it looks 3d kitten in Shinjuku

A view within the East Gardens of the Imperial Palace.

Fuji from the train to Kyoto.

A 1300 year old pagoda in Nara.

Deer in Nara park

Kyoto station.

Various views around Kyoto.

Kanazawa castle.

Kenrokuen Gardens

The ropes are to support the trees when covered in snow.

View from train back to Tokyo and view shots of Ginza Tokyo.

The lobby The Okura Hotel.

only cheery blossom we saw near the last hotel.

And Greenland.

31 Likes

Fabulous, I’m just a bit jealous! I’d love to go back. Spent most of my time in and around Nagoya with a friend then 3 days at Suzuka.

1 Like

Looks incredible

1 Like

Love the ‘around Kyoto’ pics

1 Like

Motel Life…

4 Likes

Ritz Carlton Executive Suite, Alice Springs I guess.

Close; Balnarring Motor Inn :+1:

1 Like

My favourite of those types of places was the Fish Creek Hotel which has a giant fish on the roof in case you forget where you are:

Looks like it has been poncified since I last stayed there…

2 Likes

All looks so clean

1 Like

It is, very rarely see rubbish or bins except outside shops/take aways. You take it all home. Also not really done thing to walk down the street eating food, although sitting in a park, bench etc drinking alcohol is fairly normal. Suspect former drives lack of rubbish and very ingrained good manners.

2 Likes

Next stop on the round of family/friend stays…

Mount Martha

6 Likes

Mornington Beach

12 Likes

Not a bad place to be, reasonably clear of shit that wants to kill you?

1 Like

Apart from a neighbour that I’ve inadvertently upset, yep :+1:

4 Likes

Iced coffee in Hastings…

5 Likes

Wrong place wrong time Terry.
You could have been the holder of a wolrld record

No. Just no :confounded: