Home Dry Cured Bacon

Think you should be fine…

When making traditional European Bacon, cold smoke at an ambient temperature of around 30 degrees C. (86 degrees F) Generally, smoke at 35 deg C, but never higher than 37 deg C (100 deg F). This is the point of separation between cold and hot smoke. (RG)

2 Likes

Slicing up very nicely. :+1: Just grilled a test rasher and it’s really delish - a lot more flavour than the two previous “green” (unsmoked) attempts. :ok_hand::yum:

7 Likes

1 Like

Really tempted to try this myself, if I take the water tray and 2nd shelf out of the Weber smoker I can hang the bacon from the top grill and it should stay cool.

Might try loin and make some back bacon rather than streaky though.

4 Likes

this book

by Turan, T Turan (coincident name) - is an excellent read and well worth the price

1 Like

Bingo!

1 Like

Nice, I think I will try doing loin/back bacon next time too.

Not as cost effective as DIY streaky though. In our local butcher, the dry cured bacon (back or streaky) is £12/kilo and belly pork is about half that, so even taking into account the shrinkage during the cure, the cost of the salt, sugar, smoking pellets etc, home cured/smoked streaky bacon is cheap. Not sure of the cost of pork loin, but it’s a lot more than belly…

1 Like

Went to school with a bloke called turan turan

Middle name Turan?

Not sure

That would just be silly.

Not really about the cost though, is it? Surely, more about creating something even better than the shops themselves can manage.

1 Like

He’s a scouser…

1 Like

Not sure it follows, I find scousers very generous…

…with all the stuff they’ve nicked.

2 Likes

Yep, and the satisfaction from eating something delicious that you made yourself is priceless…

…I’m just a cunt for numbers :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Wanna buy a hubcap? :grin:

1 Like

Retired = too lazy to nick the whole wheel :roll_eyes:

1 Like

or scramble under to nick the cat

The last three attempts have all been belly pork cured into streaky bacon, so this time thought I’d try loin of pork/back bacon.

The usual curing mix of rock salt, demerara sugar, crushed juniper berries, shredded bay leaves and both black and white pepper.

The first two were unsmoked, but the last one was smoked using mixed fruit wood. That was easily the tastiest of the three, so this back bacon will be smoked.
The curing process, including the smoking and hanging to dry, takes about 14/15 days, so it should be perfect for Lopwell :+1:

14 Likes

can you identify these flavours in the final product?

is that fresh or dry bay?