House Renovation šŸ”

We did a bare walls new kitchen/bathroom job on our place, and a slow cooker was very useful.

Not a fan of slow cookers tbh, but we do have the InstantPot which I suspect will be a life-saver for a lot of things. Weā€™ve got an oven, but it needs a cabinet to go in before it can be used!

Given that there are kids then yes. When we did our kitchen we went quite a while with no floor in there (15" deep hole for hardcore then concrete then DPM then more concrete then stone flooring) which meant no kitchen units. The oven sat on a workmate for most of that time.

VB

Buy a second-hand static caravan. Live in that on-site while reonavating. Thatā€™s what Iā€™d do.

3 Likes

Buy a herd of Alpaca.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™d do.

3 Likes

Looks ripe for a massive roll of this

3 Likes

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a lot in 12 months when you are living in the property. We have been through the same but chuck in kitchen extension and refit plus pitched roof on two dormers, new windows and doors throughout, re do ceilings and create a new en-suite. Taken us four years in total with two major work years in there.

Down to bedroom furniture now which will be done in next two months.

Spent way more than fag packet budget but happy with result.

Good luck with the project. I wouldnā€™t live in the property if you can avoid it as will slow down the process and living in a dusty mess is only fun for a while.

1 Like

Give the walrus a call. He seems to know a fair bit about smashing things up in Franceā€¦

1 Like

Already looks better.

9 Likes

:roll_eyes:

I think the project would (in certain circles) be called ā€œa blank canvasā€ :grimacing:

1 Like

We have three floors so simply worked our way down. Moving people around as the work proceeded. In many ways it was actually an advantage to be here as I could keep an eye on things and organise scheduling carefully. As for the budget:

:crazy_face::exploding_head::crazy_face:

That was largely due to the decision to also do loads of built-in wardrobes and spend a shedload on plantation shutters. This was a decision made a Board level by the Chief Exec. so I simply agreed and opened the walletā€¦:unamused:

The chances of Kondo next year are zero given the plans for the kitchenā€¦:cry:

1 Like

You could have it polished off for Easter Sunday

Very much so, thatā€™s half the point. Every house weā€™ve been round has been dire in terms of decor etc. but itā€™s a challenge to spend serious money on simply redecorating when itā€™s not going to add value to the house. It also gives us way more flexibility to customise layout the way we want, and one spends correspondingly less on the property in the first case.

The French mortgage system also seems rather better set up for this kind of thing, and the French government also offer zero interest loans towards renovation projects, which makes up about a quarter of the mortgage amount.

5 Likes

Lovely. :heart_eyes:
Looks like shit loads of work but an amazing opportunity to create a beautiful home.

1 Like

Can you be sure to have the French fire brigade on standby? Also, is it worth re-naming the property as Notre Dame as Iā€™m sure they wouldnā€™t miss a few thousand Euroā€™s from the 600Million pot theyā€™re about to splurge on some old church.

Thatā€™s just a building thoughā€¦

3 Likes

Stronzetto needs restoring - A decade or two in the Betty Ford may not scrape the top of the idiot burg but surely on humanitarian grounds funds could be found en France?

Post some ā€œafterā€ pics then.

3 Likes