I actually bought some new hi-fi

Oh the multi cells are wooden, some dude used to make them and sell them for about £300 on eBay years ago, I think he’s stopped now. I imagine that wood could easily be a better medium for indoor use.

Is that the chap from Germany?

No, I think he was UK. @Adpully bought some as well I think.

I think I could get away with that in our living room with a lick of paint here and there.

1 Like

:+1:

4 Likes

Klug is the guy in Germany and they are a lot more than £300!!!
What drivers are you using?

All JBLs high up - 2441, 2461, 2405. Lab subs down low, Oberton 12" mid bass.

1 Like

Not sure what the picture is on the screen - It seems the Milk Tray man is removing a golden ball from the heel of something that belongs Dr. Cuntys shoe emporium? I imagine the soundtrack is:

Probably epic via x5 way.

2 Likes

It was the bit at the start of Alita where he’s going through the scrapyard.

Here is Inception, now, in the dark:

The addition of peep show curtains holds so much promise

1 Like

His name was Keith and i thought that you bought your cells from me.

After seeing this I thought I would give one of these DACs a go out of interest, thought it was pretty good but not quite as nice as my Audioquest Cobalt, have now realised that I got the MK1 by accident which is not rated so highly on ASR (for what that is worth)

I have now ordered the correct one (MK2) and expect peep show curtains to be lifted.

The pink panther…

Which sounded totally sublime through the S Korean cinema system at Munich last year btw

It’s a very good recording

1 Like

My hifi sounds better when I’m sober than any I’ve had before while listening pissed. It’s really that good. I’m not sure I’ve heard anything better.

Sadly the convenience factor is so missing it’s quite laughable. It’s not even fun hi-fi inconvenience like changing records, it’s just fucking annoying. Bah.

What is the inconvenience? I thought it was just turn on the computer and pick a track.

Or is it the amount of stuff to turn on? :joy:

Actually the power side is easy - one switch for all DACs and amps.

The computer is always on. Until it isn’t. It randomly loses settings, which include default sound card, and occasionally 33dB off the subwoofer. The graphics card needs its drivers reinstalling every week or so.

It’s probably all sorted with a new computer, although that would mean reinstalling and reconfiguring all of the things. So I’m listening to music instead.

I remember reading this now.

:ok_hand: Enjoy, seems like a great set-up. The main parts are in place anyway so at least you know you’ll still have the same sound if you sort the computer.

I actually bought something else new. To replace all that above…

The Lynx plus 5xDAC approach sounded great, but there was an irritating noise that I could never pinpoint. I suspect it’s to do with earthing in the PC - even though the Lynx is meant to be galvanically isolated, I’ve always had some issues with it.

So I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, which is a pro audio interface with 10 analogue outputs - that’s what I need for five way. I can add more using the digital outputs, but that’s getting silly.

This is USB, so all the music stuff is done outside the computer. There’s no noise, and it sounds great.

(Even with one sub down, which is probably a cable thing that I’ll need to sort out, but it’s just the sub so I can turn up the other one…)

The software and setup is easy, took me a couple of hours to configure it and make sure that everything is plugged into the right channels.

It’s actually fairly fuss-free set up like this. Cool.

12 Likes