Ice Cream

Messaged my brother who is a. a chef and b. on a massive ice-cream making bender at the moment:

Base recipe is 300ml cream (35-40%), 300ml milk, X2 60g sugar, 6 egg yolks. Heat the cream and milk with one lot of sugar until nearly boiling, in a separate bowl mix the yolks and second lot of sugar with a whisk until ribbony. Whisking constantly, slowly pour the nearly boiling cream into the yolks, then pour the whole lot back into the pot and heat on a medium heat until it begins to thicken. Stir with a spatula constantly otherwise you get scrambled eggs. When thickened, sieve the mixture back into the bowl and chill for at least four hours before churning.

This creates a very boring ice-cream but the base to very many more exciting ice-creams.

These are the recipes that I have played with recently, any details required, just ask
Chocolate choc chip and whiskey.
Vanilla, Brandy and raisin
Daim
Raspberry and salt liquorice
Prune
Coffee
Coconut
Milk chocolate orange,
Popcorn
Bannoffee pie
Greek yoghurt and honey

Ice cream is frozen custard. I make custard, put the bowl in the freezer and pull it out for a stir every 15 minutes or so. Not tried any special guest star ingredients because I’m not really an ice cream fan but I do like a bit of posh vanilla accompanying some bread and butter pud or the like. A posh custard will make ice cream that will definitely beat shop bought, so @Mrs_Maureen_OPinion you can go fuck yourself, which I suspect is Exactly the reaction you were hoping for. :grin:

11 Likes

2 Likes

this-pleases-gaga

1 Like

Thanks very much, that’s more like the level of faff I was after. That’s essentially a sauce anglais base, ish. When you say 35 - 40 percent cream, is that double cream? I have some vanilla pods, so think I will go for a nice plain vanilla to start, get that right and move on from there. Will definitely be in touch regarding the others. Also have a hankering for passion fruit ripple.

3 Likes

Yeah, double cream is usually that sort of fat percentage.

This custard recipe makes mega ice cream. I usually ignore the single cream advice and do it with double.

Put a split vanilla pod, one and a half litres of milk and 500ml single cream in a pan and bring to a boil. Beat eight whole eggs with 450g sugar until white and nearly stiff, stir in the hot milk.

It comes from a Giorgio Locatelli recipe for panettone bread and butter pudding which is incredible.

Burford Brown eggs and gold top ftw.

1 Like

Burford brown eggs:

1 Like

When I do my mums shopping for her she sometimes asks me to go to her local garden centre because she likes the eggs they sell in the expensive faux artisan foodie bit there.

Obviously it’s closed at the moment so a few weeks ago I got her some Burford Browns from the supermarket, thinking they’d be similar.

When I went to do her shop the next time, she gave me her list and it said “brown eggs, but not too brown…”

I asked her what she meant and she said she didn’t like the Burfords because the shells were too brown, and the yolks too yellow. I asked her what they tasted like, and she said she hadn’t tried because too brown/yellow… :roll_eyes:

I considered getting a Dulux brown colour chart so I knew what to get next time.

1 Like

They are amazing, really orange yolks. The yolks slow cooked 65c for an hour the put on top of steak… oh yeah.

3 Likes

Another worth a try, whole egg versus egg yolk, worth making both.

So far have made vanilla, rippled raspberry a couple of times and a chocolate.

For a base…

I use 8 told and 7oz castor sugar whipped until just able to run. In a pan, 500ml of double cream and full fat milk, vanilla paste, salt, some clotted cream, golden syrup. Heat it all up and add the eggs and sugar until a simmer is reached. Into a child Bain Marie, then fridge, then churn and into freezer.

Add raspberry coulis or chocolate as required. For a straight vanilla I use the full faff method allowing a vanilla pod to steep in the cream and milk for a couple of hours.

Salted caramel next

14 Likes

Looks great. Raspberry ripple is fab :+1:

3 Likes

Is that a chopping board Bob, or a plinth that didn’t 'make it? ’ :grin:

2 Likes

Blu berry, subtle flavour and if I’m honest it would have been better added to the base mix rather than as a ripple. Didn’t use a stabiliser this time, looks good as well.

8 Likes

When we had our own chickens the eggs were amazing. Especially the odd double yolker

1 Like