If I should fall from grace

Close…“I Feel Like a Wog” from No More Heroes. Opening track Side 1.

Probably poorly phrased on my part. I meant that the whole collective. I was a PiL fan really. The Sex Pistols were not really my thing for a bunch of reasons…

1 Like

Bruce Dickinson, now known as Brexit Bruce (in my head, anyway)

From Wikipedia:

Dickinson stated in a 2018 interview with French magazine L’Obs that, despite residing mainly in France, he supports Brexit and voted for the UK to leave the EU during the 2016 referendum.[118][119] In 2021, after the Withdrawal Agreement entered into force, Dickinson said he was angry that British musicians and performers were restricted from free travel through Europe.[

1 Like

Yeah, I used to quite enjoy Iron Maiden for a bit of metal related cheese, but he pisses me off too much. I’ll make an exception for my 89yo gran (not least because she had some interesting reasons behind her decision that I never saw elsewhere), but anyone else who voted Brexit can fuck the fuck off, no matter how talented they might have been.

Not sure stupidity really counts for this thread?
Just because you can play an instrument and hold a note doesn’t mean you can do anything else.
Being thick doesn’t turn you into a wife beater/ kiddie fiddler/ nazi for instance

1 Like

My cousin lived in Brent Knoll near Burnham on Sea. When she was in 6th form one of her friends was Glitter’s girlfriend. Glitter used to visit the local girl guides group.

Thread subtitle: Who, of your musical heroes, has become the biggest knob in old(er) age?

You don’t need to be a paedo or a wife-beater to disappoint me.

1 Like

True
Fuck Dickinson then!

2 Likes

… Was the most awful, delusional, self centered, obnoxious person (Or should I say symbol) I came across in the industry.

1 Like

Do you all think this sort of introspection is actually going to achieve anything? How many historical figures in any walk of life, at any time, stand-up to close examination?

Does all of your own past behaviour stand-up to rigorous examination in light of 2021’s values and morality? Mine sure as fuck doesn’t, but I can’t time-travel and undo it, so only regrets remain.

I’m not contradicting any of you in asserting that these people were abject shits, but are we really improving ourselves by collectively wallowing in their mire? 20/20 hindsight is a curse upon mankind, surely life’s joyless enough as age closes in without revising every facet of history in light of present-day values?

It’s also fucking pointless - we can’t go back and change things, it’s not as though humanity learns from its mistakes unless it’s to copy them, and for certain we’ll all be judged at least as ruthlessly by future generations - that’s if our mistakes allow for many more of them to exist.

1 Like

Oooh, someone’s got their limited edition, signed Gary Glitter boxset up for sale on eBay.

8 Likes

But, but, but…does this all mean that I can’t hate Chris Martin (odious knobhead) any more?

Shhh! I’m not yet reconciled to letting my sequined leotard go - it’s FAR too soon to talk of his rhyming-slangness’s opus being divested from the portfolio… :open_mouth:

But… but… Surely he’s some kind of latterday saint? You must be a Very Bad Man :hushed:

2 Likes

Perspectives change as new information comes in. I.e I’m pleased I’m not going about telling people of the brilliance of Rolf Harris.

Ugh! He was particularly disappointing… :poop:

Dolly Parton.

6 Likes

From the front you’ll be going to get very close.

1 Like

I would contest that there’s… some… distance between me revisiting my past indiscretions and the activities of Ian Watkins for example and I’d argue you have to go a fair bit back into history to reach a point where yer average Barry Shitpeas was comfortable with what he did.

I’d also point out that this observation is subtly different from the original post as well. Van the Man (sic), isn’t intrinsically evil even judged by the standards of the here and now. He’s just become a really disappointing cunt.

4 Likes