Injection moulded vinyl

1 Like

Cue Farage claiming that we donā€™t want foreign vinyl.

Very interesting. I wonder how the new ā€˜more durableā€™ materials affect the longevity of those precious diamonds?

You would think that with the energy savings, the selling price of a new disc would be competitive.

Easier to make but donā€™t last as long and cost more.

Should appeal to vinyl fans!

I couldnā€™t see anything on the link that mentioned durability or cost. Can you point me to your source?

1 Like

Sounds interesting. Capacity needs to increase so so maybe this new method will do a better job than the old presses.

Iā€™d love to be able to carry out a SQ comparison between a traditionally pressed disc and one of these. Presumably that must be a prime motivation for them.

I"However, the records arenā€™t as durable as conventional vinyl, and the material costs are slightly higher."

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/news/symcon-aims-to-boost-vinyl-sound-quality-through-new-manufacturing-process#yDzMLky0GgigKhd2.99

Sounds better but some downsides.
But hard to asses the issues without a bit more detail on measuring the differences.

It doesnā€™t explain how they get the master copy? Is there a master copy or just a .FLAC file? How is the press die made?

Yes, ā€œmaterialā€ costs are slightly higher, but energy costs are said to be 65% lower. hence the title of the article

Injection-molded vinyl could offer better sound and lower costs

Anyway, the success or otherwise of this venture will revolve around sound quality and you can measure all you like, but people will still judge that factor subjectively.

I assumed in the same way as before.

The other thing is how long does a die last for (numbers of copies), I can see the ā€˜testā€™ pressings being very low number early copies for the press, but what we get is much later high speed versions.