Interesting Speakers

My missus did say I’m a cheap date…

1 Like

No ambition some people.

1 Like

It’s not Bass if the walls ain’t bending…

‘Hel darling I know you have some misgivings about the recent speakers I’ve bought, but good news…’

7 Likes

Interesting choice to have a 2" driver in a massive front horn like that in a 2 way system. The crossover frequency is 500Hz; it’s a big mouth for that frequency, it seems to me.

Someone should definitely DIY something like this. It’s just a butt-load of big woofers in a W horn and a straight front horn with compression driver. You could build that for a couple of grand and a week off work.

Be more specific with ‘you’…. I’d struggle to match the gloriousness below :rofl:

5 Likes

You haven’t seen Adam’s handiwork, have you?! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

Trouble is unless you go for something like 2482’s there aren’t many 2" comp drivers that’ll play well so low without being behind a WE style 15ft long rolled up horn.

And thus starts the inexorable drift to five ways…

Listen to a ONE MILLION DOLLAR hi-fi system from Aries Cerat! - YouTube

3 Likes

Look like vintage JBLs (375?), says beryllium so probably fitted with truextent diaphragms.

1 Like

That speaker next to it is the FS1 model (16 inch woofer) which is the larger version of my FS2. Not many people know that.

2 Likes

I never heard these but I found them intriguing.

1 Like

Further to Murray’s comments…

For ultimate quality playing 16" drivers up to 500Hz - nono!
A 2" driver in a horn like that really wouldn’t play much higher than 5 or 6KHz.

So whilst it will make sound, I would wonder about the quality.

So you need a mid bass horn in between and upper mid and / or tweeter on top.

So 4 or 5 way🙂

Yeah you always get to that point!

I wonder whether using that kind of bass system but wider, so there’s a vertical gap in the middle. That you then fill with an 8" driver plus horn doing 150-600, then a 330Hz horn with a 1.4-2" plus a tweeter on top.

I quite like the idea of everything enclosed in the bass system!

2 Likes

Using the GPA 415-8B Biflex driver, interesting.

1 Like

For a sprightly 36,000 €!

Insane price for what they are!

Yeah, the GPA driver is £1.3k/ea (non trade), I can’t imagine there is a huge amount of R&D in that speaker.