Is there a plumber in the house?

I’ve just replaced the kitchen mixer tap, because it was leaking water everywhere. Years of corrosion had left it beyond repair.

Bearing in mind that I am not a plumber, the operation went pretty well. It only took me three hours to cut through the rusted nut and bolt holding the tap in place :rage:

Anyway, old tap out, new tap in - what a relief. Then I tried to connect the flexible hoses to the pipework. It turns out the pipes are threaded for a 15mm connector, and the ones on the new tap are 20mm.

No matter, I thought - I’ll take the hoses off the old tap and use those. Nope - the new tap is a different design, so the old hoses are an inch too short.

In order to be able to switch the water back on, I’ve had to fit the new tap in the cupboard under the sink!

Did I mention that I’m not a plumber?

What I need (I think) is pair of converters that will allow me to fit a 20mm threaded hose connector to a 15mm threaded pipe end.

I’m at work tomorrow, and the local Screwfix is open (for click and collect orders only). I’d be grateful if someone who knows what they are doing could tell me what I need to oder to get the job finished.

Happy Easter.

1 Like

Say Candyman’s name three times and he will appear.
@A_Touch_of_Cloth

1 Like

Sorry. My days of advice are well behind me.

Any cunt doing this without thinking it through really needs a word having.

1 Like

Should have bought Siemens?

1 Like

Brown Siemens.

STI clinic

Lads.

Just because the joke is there, it is safe to leave it there. A promise, if you will.

1 Like

Fair point, but the lying cunt on the YouTube video said it was a 15 minute job. He was very plausible - had a pencil behind his ear and everything. Didn’t say anything about corroded bolts or different sizes of hose connectors.

It’s not my fault, I was misled.

OK, I’m a stupid cunt.

1 Like

Did the taps come as a pair ? If you have an unfitted one then I’d take it with you to Screwfix so you can check that the fitting you get does actually screw on before you drive away (voice of experience speaking).

VB

:grin:

2 Likes

Hi, I’m preparing to take on the role of Banquo in a Summer production of the Scottish play. However I’m really struggling to inhabit the character. Can you offer any advice to a novice from your experiences in Rep & numerous pantomimes?

8 Likes

Ninja edit, or am I going word-blind :face_with_hand_over_mouth: ? Most kitchen taps are mixer taps these days - ours has been for years. So I deliberately checked the OP to see whether @Horace had said ‘mixer’ anywhere. Twice. He hadn’t. Twice. (At least, not in the universe I was in half an hour ago.)

VB

Mixer tap: it’s mentioned in the very first line of my original post.

Moving on, I think I’ve found what I need:

I’ll pick them up tomorrow. If they don’t do the job, I will simply fly into a terrifying rage and wait for the authorities to remove the family to a place of safety.

2 Likes

Sorry. My days of advice are well behind me.

Any cunt doing this without thinking it through really needs a word having.

:grinning:

2 Likes

Those are, I think, what I used when I last did a mixer tap. I was puzzled by your original post:

10mm at the tap end is more likely

Yes - 10mm at the tap end. I was referring to the connectors at the other end of the flexible hose coming from the tap, thus:

The tap is fitted, nothing is leaking and the hot and cold water are connected the right way round.

What a pain in the fucking arse plumbing is. I shall not be exploring the topic any further.

4 Likes

Any thoughts on my Macbeth predicament though?

1 Like

You’ve said the proper name of the Scottish Play, so you’re already doomed. You’ll probably die horribly by being hanged in the backdrop rigging. Sorry, it was nice knowing you.

1 Like

Not really. All I’ve learned from my brief foray into the world of plumbing is that you need a big hammer, some olives, a towel and a bucket.

And it really helps if you shout ‘cunt’ a lot.

Any good to you?

2 Likes