Knives and Sharpening

Maybe a nice 6-7’ish Santoku for when the Gyuto is too large and the petty knife too small.

A decent paring knife.
The Wusthof I have is excellent and gets used a lot

2 Likes

You’re actually missing one of the holy trinity there - there’s no serrated bread knife. Per se in a kitchen I can do everything between a chef’s, a pairing and a bread knife, everything after that is optimisation. Foo is also completely pointless with bread knives. I recommend the Victorinox pastry knife with the rounded end.

If you’ve got a bread knife hiding elsewhere, a properly small pairing knife for doing work in the hand is where I’d go. I’ve got a 90mm Tokiro Flash “sheep’s foot” style one that works well - the fact that the edge is completely straight is quite handy for in the hand work I find:

https://www.tojiro-japan.com/products/tojiro-flash-dp-damascus-paring-knife-90mm/

There are definitely cheaper options available, if you can even find the Flash series these days as they are discontinued.

1 Like

Victorinox is a really good shout.

By far my most used knife is their scalloped Santoku -

I even managed to find one with an orange handle :orange_heart: :orange_heart: :orange_heart:

3 Likes

Ah, have a zwilling bread-er which is fine, and half an eye on a Tojiro for when it needs replacing one day

Pairing seems the right choice - can’t say I’ve ever felt I had need for one, TBH, but as someone mentioned above, there’s need and there’s NEED

You only need one paring knife

1 Like

Pairing now ordered (just the one)

Dunno what’s going on with Tojiro prices over here, but the Mac Pro was cheaper than the Tojiro DP

1 Like

PARING :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Tell that to my fucking phone

5 Likes

Somebody has tried to make a pairing knife.
https://www.reddit.com/r/shittykickstarters/comments/ap1j8p/diamska_musical_chefs_knife_with_bluetooth/

Save your pennies unless it’s for aesthetic reasons, there’s nothing to be gained from a fancy breadknife imho

Hopes dashed but thankfully salvaged by a newfound craving for “sheep’s foot”.

1 Like

His is a very good idea.

Their santoku is quite lovely too.

Not sure if this is genuine but popped up in a search

£26 for the tojiro nakiri basic is a bargain

1 Like

It seems ‘if it needs cutting JPMman makes a knife for it’. For years I’ve chopped down boxes for shipping with a trusty £4 bread knife. I expect the finesse of this blade added to customers delight… what could possibly be better …?

Voila, JPNman makes a cardboard cutting knife - the tiny serrations produce a very fine cut - The non stick coating makes going through tape or other gummed gunk a joy - Once again Japanman delivers

5 Likes

What big hands you have goldilocks

1 Like

Small tool big hand, a tragedy of arousal

4 Likes

Ha, that’s why Trump thinks he’s hung like a donkey :joy:

1 Like

Is this in Matt’s CV?

“no.23: The US’s worst president thinks I’m hung like a donkey”

1 Like

Sacked
Failed
Sacked
Caught
Sacked
Ran away
Sacked himself.

5 Likes