Knives and Sharpening

Similar :ok_hand:

Still - where there’s a CV there’s still hope…

1 Like



:grin:

10 Likes

Since my mum died in 2022 my sisters have been keeping in touch with her older sister (who is 89 and still drives🥶) and out of the blue she sent me £25 for my birthday.
So bought a new bread knife.
Nothing fancy but it does a very decent job.

9 Likes

Having some fun wjth the Horl

Picked up a not-unreasonably sharp Victorianox slicer, spent half an hour on the Horl and now it’s like something from Kill Bill :+1:

4 Likes

I’m staying with a friend in Bristol at the moment, and she has the Horl. I was part way through trying to use it when I realised the knife (A rather worse the wear looking Tojiro Flash, so not a cheap number at all), had a roughly 5-10° curve across the length of the blade. Gave up at that point.

The Horl itself is an interesting unit to use - this one didn’t have any way to adjust the angle you sharped at, so wouldn’t have worked with a chunk of my knives, and I’d really rather know the grit rating of what I’m using which it didn’t seem to indicate anywhere, but the actual unit and method it gives seems pretty good to me.

1 Like

This was a gift for my Dad, but now I wants one.

2 Likes

Very nice gift for your dad!
Did you manage to get it at duty free?

There is no duty free any more.

I got it at the outlet mall, looks like I paid £186.

Bob Kramer by Zwilling Euro Stainless santoku 18 cm, 34897-181-0 | Advantageously shopping at Knivesandtools.co.uk

Wow! Great price.
No more duty free?

Not since Jan 2021. Just on alcohol now.

:+1:

Advice please

I need a knife suitable for trimming meat, removing silver skin etc. is that a trimming knife, boning, paring?

Also a chefs knife for general meat and veg duty.

Don’t want to spend silly money but I’ve no idea what is considered a good knife and reasonable price.

Buy me knives please….

Bonus points for pretty metal

Get some Victorinox ones from Nisbets.

They are not the prettiest, but they cut stuff.

I for standard kitchen knives I would go Wustoff or Zwilling whichever suits your hand better’
pretty metal (Damascus) comes at a premium so all depends on your budget

Budget around £150 for both, a little flexibility.

Looking around, I may need to up that budget.

I have quite a few knives but only use a few. A paring knife and chef knife ( Both Wustoff) and old carving and bread knives which are ancient.

Harts of Stur often do good offers I got my Wustoff from them a few years ago

Or these if you prefer japanese (normally lighter)

@TMC is probably a good person to ask

So a paring knife is what I need for trimming meat and skinning fish and such tasks?