I use one of those and a Lansky Crockstick.![]()
How do you hold & move the knife consistently at 15 degrees or thereabouts?
Practice ![]()
I use the stones I bought for chisels/plane blades etc.
Yes , practice, Jon showed me a nice easy technique at the last lopwell , the amount of pressure was the thing that surprised me the most , you can get holders that push on to he knife to help with the degree. I used one for a while but I’m much more confident doing it normally now since my lesson
Nothing beats a water stone
I bought some wetstones from Rutland years ago, probably when this thread started,
Bought one of these at the same time
Yup that’s what I had/ used for a while.
You do get a feel for it the more you do it
@murrayjohnson I can dig it out if want it assuming I can find it
is that ok for Japanese knives as I read you should sharpen those at 10deg and my Wusthof is 15deg
I use the minosharp as it is 15deg
The Rutland stones are great. As, has been said above, it takes a few goes. But once you get it right then all is grand.
If it helps, I pre soak the stones then use a water spray as I hone,(scrape badly). It seems to work, though.GLIYF
Should add that my knives are from Procook, not some Kissa Bois, hand forged by temple virgins
I don’t have any Japanese knives ![]()
Like the look of this!
I went on a knife sharpening course a few years ago that Jan bought me for my ‘70th.
His sole job was sharpening all sorts of knives, gardening and farming equipment.
Knife and angles, he said that as long as the angle was close to the low recommended figures you mention but consistent every time that’s the important thing.
I have a recollection that there’s not a standard angle for Japanese knives either - it varies from maker to maker.
And that’s before you get into the complexity of single edged knives, which they use far more than we do.
Obvious AA reply is Tormek, I really want this one but no way am I spending £300+
Your new face mask modeling contract would take away that principle surely
![]()
Getting arrested doesn’t pay that well.
To add insult to the facemask, today’s calendar gift was a comb.
More or less pressure than you expected?
More
Anyone used this shop? Seem to be some good deals.
Thinking of treating myself to a selection of decent knives for Christmas.
Knives are not just for Christmas