Knives and Sharpening

Not familiar with them - is there anything in particular you are looking for with a set of knives?

Just something of decent quality to replace our current set of Richardson Kyu (westernised Japanese style) which are ok in their way, but claire and the kids have abused the crap out of them by ignoring me and putting in the dishwasher (which has cracked the handles) or just chucking in the sink, which has broken the tips off the chef’s knife and one of the utilitys.

I’ve got a Global G2 , which is prone to chipping and again has lost its tip due to abuse.

I’m not too fussed about Japanese style knives and I’m actually more comfortable with a traditional western style. Also I’ve heard too many stories about Globals breaking, chipping etc, so I’m probably not going there.

Thinking about either the Wusthof classic or the Zwilling pro models, just a 3 piece set of Chefs, utility and paring, maybe adding a boning knife.

Doesn’t handle the dishwasher very well, mine cracked on the spine. TBF after reading the instructions it does say don’t put in the dishwasher so my own fault. Wusthof did replace it without any questions though.

Wusthof are really good, got the 8inch classic chef as a present and bought myself a set of the gourmet knives for general shite. The gourmet are the bottom end of their knives but have held an edge really well and rarely need sharpening.

Out of a full set of Globals have only got one left as all the others snapped, I won’t ever buy another Global knife.

1 Like

Yeah, the Wusthof / Zwilling route is probably the way to go if you want nicer knives. Normally I’d lean towards harder steels, because they tend to hold their edge for longer, but if they’re likely to get abused a lot, they’re far more prone to chipping, and also a lot harder to put at edge back on.

If you know full well they’re going to get abused to fuck no matter how much you tell people not to, you’re probably better off going for a set of the Fibrox handled Victorinox chef’s knives. They’re still a very solid knife, can still take a wicked sharp edge, but the handles won’t split in the dishwasher, and they’re not that expensive if someone does completely trash one by using it as a tin-opener or similar.

3 Likes

Personally, I find this type of handle much more comfortable than the other one they do:

2 Likes

I used the wrong phrase when I said replace, I’m keeping any new ones strictly for myself, and Claire and the kids can carry on using the current ones.

They won’t be going anywhere near a dishwasher, they’ll be cleaned right away after use, then back in the roll and in a drawer.

2 Likes

I remember you telling me about your Globals, and you’re not the only one I know who’s had problems.

This is how it works in my house !

Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

I’ve got a few Tojiro Flash knives that I also really like (most of mine are more traditional Japanese style ones) - could be worth a look depending on budget:

Oh, don’t bother with a foo breadknife, complete waste of money.

2 Likes

Good advice

Ooh, could possibly use man maths to justify this set to myself:

Quite fancy these - Not sure if this is a Faux ‘sale’ thing though?

Seems to be about the price for them everywhere.

I ended up going for the old school Zwilling Professional S ( the ones with the full bolster) 3 knife set, because there doesn’t seem to be a great deal of difference between them and the Wüsthof Classic, and also because I found them really cheap in a German store…

2 Likes

@TMC Josh wanted an all-purpose kitchen knife for Uni as he is cooking quite a bit so we got him one of the Victorinox santoku knives you’ve been recommending. I had a go with it today. It’s absolutely ridiculous - will be chucking out all our rubbish and replacing them with three or four of these.

6 Likes

If you’re getting a mix, the 8” Chef’s Knife is the bomb. I also really rate the pastry knife instead of the regular bread knife, due to the rounded end.

Their tiny 2” or so paring knives are possibly the best value knives in the world.

1 Like

Get yourself a good knife sharpener while you’re at it (if you haven’t already).

Also consider keeping the old knives in case Mrs B is as hard on them as Hel is.

I see that you married one of ‘those’ too :roll_eyes:

They’re £30

1 Like

I appear to have worn a section of the sharpening steel to be as smooth as a baby’s butt.

What is this shoddy bullshit? It’s only about 30 years old!

(thanks in advance but I’m not looking for guidance regarding alternatives to a steel)