Listening Room Dream No1

The joys of LP sleeve art/lyrics, the notion of sound quality, of carefully listening to a whole album in its intended order etc. That’s been in the mainstream press previously. But certainly this kind of presentation hasn’t.

Not sure how well the venue will cope with the potential increase in visitors now. Finite time slots wpuld change the relaxed vibe there.

I would like to get down to visit, but not sure I can take a day out of diary, which is v frustrating.

As @Ruprecht previously said, it is refreshing to see him operating outside the “hi end” environment. From the recent hifi shows I have been to, only Munich on the weekends, and Cranage Hall on Father’s Day, break the UK stereotype of late middle aged men.

But interestingly the Time Out article also points to another issue, taking the time to just sit and listen, and be transported elsewhere. I have three teenage lads, by their age I was listening to hours of music, whilst doing nothing else, other than listening, and from that sprang the reason to pursue acoustics and electronics at University. They have access to three really good stereos in the house, and when they do listen to my system often respond very positively, but their time is wholly consumed by xbox, YouTube, 1000 tv channels, social media, and most frequently all at once! There is no quiet time, no time to get bored, no space to fill. The comments about consumption of music, and its use as an aural wallpaper to time spent doing something else struck a chord with me.

4 Likes

Too busy to listen too busy to cook too busy to meet other real human beings…Busy is everywhere. Thankfully there is a resistance to this from some, particularly hipsters.

3 Likes

Just got a double feature in Stereo Sound Japan.

6 Likes

I’m hoping to get down to hear it, maybe end of next week.

Hi-fi As Art, Listening Room Dream No.1 | The Ear (the-ear.net)

2 Likes

Build a pair of speakers with Devon, which I suspect would be quite an entertaining couple of days

or just buy the kit for £360 less

Jarvis Cocker currently in the house.

4 Likes

Spent a very enjoyable two hours there today. The system is very well put together and all the music I heard was very natural and revealing. Moistly Blue Note jazz but they did spin some Steve Reich and Floating Points/Pharaoh Sanders (my request). Also enjoyed the little of In My House (feat. David Murray) by Kahil El’Zabar he played.

Was a slight surreal moment when Jarvis walked in quietly, and sat down. Devon was playing I Think It’s Going to Rain Today by Lucia Cadotsch which Jarvis made a note of.

The only downside is it makes my own system sound broken, of course the size of the room, high quality equipment and volume help Devon out no end. The room has fabric covered large panels on all walls and ceiling, I guess they are part of the installation.

I also heard Devon mention to Jarvis that the system was now owned by someone who recommend Jarvis visit. Didn’t catch the name though.

8 Likes

Yes it’s staying in London. His kits will also be available in the UK along with other bits & bobs. I want the incense burner.

1 Like

Forgot to post, Jarvis sat next to Jims seat.

9 Likes

I am hoping to get down to visit next Friday

1 Like

I’d like to have gone to one of these. Out to Lunch would be fun. Great album. Well they all are.

19 & 26 August
‘Master Tape Saturdays’ with OJAS and Blue Note
For the last two Saturdays of ‘HiFi Listening Room Dream No.1 and other works’ in London, join Turnbull for a celebration of iconic Blue Note recordings on original reel-to-reel tapes made by Rudy Van Gelder, direct from the Blue Note archives.

Featuring:
1pm ‘Out to Lunch’ by Eric Dolphy
2pm ‘The Sidewinder’ by Lee Morgan
3pm ‘Speak No Evil’ by Wayne Shorter
4pm ‘Maiden Voyage’ by Herbie Hancock
5pm ‘Blue Train’ by John Coltrane’

The sessions are free, but space is limited and queues expected. We kindly ask that visitors stay for just one session if people are waiting.

2 Likes

Would have loved to go to this today

Alabaster DePlume today in London. At 2:00 and 4:00 DePlume will present a new work in the Listening Room Dream No.1 at Lisson Gallery. Free entry as always but space is extremely limited.

Have to be in London Sunday,but will sadly be to late for it.

1 Like