Living Voice

:popcorn:

3 Likes

Agree,

They look naff.

Not for me looks wise a bit too bling.

Not quite,
Papa bought his pair down to a bakeoff iirc.
The same bake off where you blew up a loaner brand new DAC wasn’t it Mark? :grinning:

4 Likes

Haha, god yes.

But then James went to Munich and bought a pair after hearing them there, didn’t he?

Would this be a good time to talk about the importance of speaker cables :smile:

I don’t use the recommended cables with mine.

Quite enjoy @PapaLazarou Phil’s in his room on his kit, but that’s the only time - agree with James, the cabinets join in too much for my liking.

1 Like

The only ones that ever sounded any good are the ones Dean used, even then the colouration was too much. I remember listening to the top ones at Definitive with a Kondo integrated (ÂŁ25K-ish worth of amp) on the end of their top TT of the time and it was sleep inducing.

Expectation bias for the win.:roll_eyes:

Never really got the LV thing. Nice textures but more or less every time I heard them the music always appeared to be only coming from three places - centre and then focused at the speakers itself, which meant that there appeared to be big holes in the soundstage in between.

I’ve never understood the appeal of the things.

1 Like

They made sense as ÂŁ400 speakers from Dali, but ÂŁ9K, nooo.

Only heard a pair once at scalford (Phils) thought they sounded very good. They were in a smallish room with bass traps

When done right they are superb - though obviously won’t ever please bass heads.

They’re pretty marmite. I’ve heard them sound terrible on occasion (usually with flea powered SET amps).
IME they need to be reasonably clear from side walls, with at least 18 quality valve watts up 'em.
I’m very happy with mine, I like the system’s synergy in my room. Not a speaker for rockers though.

5 Likes

SET

1 Like

It just depends what you pay on them. They sound great with cello, and decent with string quartet. I didn’t like the OBXs for music with real energy though - I preferred the Auditoriums then.

Using slightly grungy amps helps, I think.

Best i heard LVs was at Scalford #1, Phil’s speakers being driven hard by a karan amp. That did sound very good.
In domestic rooms they’ve never hit the spot for me, mainly due to lack of low bass.
Ymmv