Looking for a phono stage

The 1500 is a fair leap above the 1200 though.

Yeah but at each respective price point I think they’re pretty good.

Agreed

I have the HS1201. It is pretty good, and as mentioned decent value for money. It is slightly laid back so a decent match to a lyra. I wouldn’t want to chance it with a cartridge that was on the warmer side of neutral unless I was going to listen to Ella Fitzgerald 24/7.

1201 is a lot better than the 1200, which I found very average. Worth saving for a 1500 though. Everybody I know who has had an Allnic device has had to send it off to be mended.

Mine was fine, although I have heard of others having ‘issues’

I had to borrow a phono stage from you while mine went back to the doctor. I must return yours at some stage…

1 Like

I’ve not had mine mended. It did need a new set of valves though.

I’ve heard that 1200 here, wasn’t any better than my Trichord Diablo and sounded like the stereotypical valve stage in comparison , lovely midrange but softer bass.

Depending what you’ve got it may suit? Keith’s a good fella too most active on Lenco Heaven.

Pop over then :smiley:

Apart from me - my 1500 is still going strong no repair from new.

Yes I bought pmacs 1200 and also had a 1201 on demo when they came out. Both nice but a bit safe sounding for me. Smooth and relaxing would be my lasting impression but I like a bit more energy especially in the top end however in the right system either could be a fine choice.
Totally agree regarding the 1500 but that really is in a different league sonically and price wise.

Any suggestions for a stage in the £600 price bracket? Dynavector and Rega Ariel maybe s/h?

Current deck and cartridge being Rega RP6 and exact, so not that special probably by a lot of your standards.

1 Like

I got a used pro ject at half the retail 700.
Pretty decent.
Some on here have had them and recommend. Some will say it’s a piece of junk and avoid.
Just go for one option and run with it or you’ll be forever wondering what else exists.

(It’s the phono box rs… can upgrade with a spendy power supply. )

I had a Pro-ject Tube Box DS for a while - quite liked it and it was well below budget new. I believe there is a bigger brother (DS2) which is more monies, but I don’t know anything about it.

Yer man from Pinchbeck might know - he used to sell them.

Had a Project tube/ss phono stage for a while which had a terrible hum, couldn’t sort it at all even with all sorts of grounding experiments, so returned it. Check it out first is my advice because I have a pretty straightforward set up and I’ve had no probs with other phono stages.

Very flexible though and other Pro ject stuff I’ve had especially the preamps were great and good value IMO.

My outgoing stage was an Ifi iphono, pretty good so think the project might be a side step

The Rega Aria is a good call if you like the Rega way of doing things. I like and use an Exact myself, but only into the Rega Fono mk2. The Exact is very much good enough to take advantage of a better phonostage and then if you want to move to MC later the Aria has that option.

Whest PS.20

And by coincidence I just happen to be selling one for £400 :smile:

2 Likes

Trigon are good - I love mine I does.

I upgraded to the Advance from the Vanguard II which was very good but I notice there is Vanguard III as well.