LTNs, 20mph etc. Traffic calming, or the war on motorists

The thing is with ANPR and the latest advances in AI a fair system could be implemented that allowed deliveries, taxis and even visitors access without the area becoming a ‘rat run’. The only barriers are will and cost which are everything to our Tory overlords.
The sooner they fuck off into the sea the better but I doubt their successors will be much better.

1 Like

We have an area like that here, monitored by ANPR. Closed to private traffic 8-9am and 3-4.30pm i.e. drop-off and pick-up hours for the adjacent primary school.

We also have what was a 4-way disaster of a junction that has simply been closed to cars (still open to bikes). It’s now planters and café seating.

1 Like

Most of Bristol has been 20mph limited for a few years. 30 mph now feels too fast on a lot of roads which probably means it was always too fast.

Where I live we are fortunate that our road has recently been blocked off at one end as part of wider traffic changes. No longer being used as a cut through means a safer environment. It’s nice to see kids playing on the road. It keeps through traffic on the main roads. It’s quieter and the air is cleaner.

I guess the worst downside being an extra few minutes for emergency services to get to us when approaching from one side in particular. Hopefully the satnav maps will soon be brought up to date.

2 Likes

Just spent 3 lovely days in the fair city of Liverpool . As I got near the Cavern this Roller passed me it was the old J reg …any idea of its history or owner ?
It’s a Grand city to explore !

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that particular roller does a Beatles tour as I see it on Penny lane all the time.

You should have called in for a chat/cuppa while you were close by.

1 Like

https://www.thebeatstours.com

1 Like

Nice to see a double fronted Greggs in Liverpool.

It was near the Hard Days Night hotel where I saw it …me always a bit overwhelmed with anything Beatle like :blush:
Thanks for the invite Olan …I was on a 3 day hol with Caledonian Travel ,staying at the Adelphi Hotel apparently Frank Sinatra , The Beatles had stayed there previously so if it was good enough for them then I was good enough for me …for £159 pounds which included coach from Teesside and bed with breakfast and evening meal …Great value …I enjoyed The Blob pub in Great Charlotte St :+1::blush:

I stayed there once many years ago. My overriding impression was that everyone working there acted like they’d been abducted off the street that morning and press ganged into working at the Adelphi. Additionally, someone who’d stayed in my room prior to me had, for reasons best known to themselves, prised the standby buttons off the TV and its remote, ensuring it was impossible to turn on. Weird, weird place.

1 Like

The Blob Shop , bloody hell , did you try the Aussie White ?

1 Like

Changed the title to make intent a little clearer.

TfL announce a further 65km of 20mph roads, including a big section of the South Circular (that goes past the end of my road).

This includes the notorious switchback / death loop in Tulse Hill :laughing: Whoever designed that must have had a massive hit from the bong beforehand.

I was surprised how much was 20mph around Kingston/ Richmond area.

I tried to explain on a driving awareness course how tricky it is knowing what speed areas you were in,and suggested middle of the road lines should be painted a different colour for each speed.

Was given a sort of “can we get the with the course look”

Admittedly,I hadn’t factored in people who are colour blind

3 Likes

A few years ago I was travelling round the South Circular once every couple of months. If I’d managed 20mph on some stretches of it then I would have counted that as a good day.

2 Likes

Indeed, it’s very stop-start. If you turn right at the end of the road you’ll join a queue of standing traffic for the next couple of miles. If you turn left it can be moving at 50mph.

I remember going on a speed awareness course a few years ago, the instructor asked that we list the national speed limit in a built up area, on a dual carriageway and on a motorway. Less than 50% got all three and one bell end got all three wrong :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

There are loads of 20mph signs going up around St Albans. I imagine there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the Facebook groups, almost worth signing up to troll!

Yes my sat nav is now redundant in much of London.

Need to find something else to use.

As a pedestrian I love 20mph zones, makes life so much easier crossing the road. its also quieter and I have found that people tend not to speed in 20mph zones. 30 mph zones often means traffic at 35-40.

If you are in London, ignore the above .

Sometimes, but sometimes not. I’ve driven through a local village to and from hospitals a lot recently. It’s been 20’d in the last few months. Previously people drove through at 20-30, relatively low revs in 3rd gear. Now there’s a lot of high-revving in 2nd and that’s noisier.

There have been ‘priority’ narrowings at each end of the village for a long time. One of them is on quite a long straight section of road. Drivers entering the village have to judge whether they have time to get through before an oncoming car reaches them. When the limit was 30 you knew you didn’t, but it didn’t matter much because they’d be doing 30 and would be past quite quickly. Now the more nervous drivers will wait 10-20 seconds for a crawler to reach them. And the pushier ones will reckon that since the oncomer’s “only doing 20” there will be time to squeeze through almost no matter how close the oncomer is. I guess in time everyone will get used to it. But it’s a bit of a mess for now.