LTNs, 20mph etc. Traffic calming, or the war on motorists

Maps on your phone?

Yes always been reluctant not knowing how much data they use

With Google (and I’m sure Apple too), if you know where you’re going, you can download the route on wifi before you leave. It’ll then only use data for traffic alerts (and you can turn them off too AFAIK).

2 Likes

Excellent. Will give that a go

Our Milkfloats have a system that prevents speeding. We cannot break the speed limit.

In 20mph sections, speed is limited tp an indicated 18mph.

What this means is that frustrated motorists- not drivers- sit right up my gary and then give it welly to pass.

This has resulted in some ‘interesting’ situations.

I quite like the system though. I faced loads of opprobrium from colleagues for not speeding.

Now the cunts have to drive properly…

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I see this a lot on the road outside our house. Cars parked both sides, bus obeying the speed limit, suicide jockey decides that this is his cue to swing out and deck it, meets another bus coming the other way.

You can usually see the bus driver gesticulating “You. Yes you. Have to reverse back out. Yes. Reverse. No. I’m not going to reverse. You.” :laughing:

This seems to be slowing the traffic in SE London

2 Likes

That’ll do it :scream_cat:

Magnificent

1 Like

I drove to Anglesey yesterday, not many observing the 30 is now 20 rule

I stuck to it but got overtaken on the island quite a bit and we’ll as peeping of horns

Fed up of getting speeding tickets every time I go to wales so really trying to stick to the limits

I found it quite hard to keep it at 20 in London,if anything I was going to slow as was paranoid of getting a ticket.
On one of those courses I said in some ways going slow is dangerous as you’re constantly looking at the speedometer.
She ignored me :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes it’s really hard but I guess we will get used to it, will also be better when they change the signs as one day one it’s easy to remember but down track easy to slip up

Engage speed limiter :+1:

2 Likes

The counter argument will be that it is only because you are not used to driving at 20, once you do then it will become instinctive. That being said, it will depend on cars having gearing that suits.

1 Like

I am used to the 20mph across (most of) Bristol. 30mph up double-parked streets feels too fast now, so it was probably always too fast for the conditions.

1 Like

Must admit it seems very sensible as a policy, strong evidence apparently re the level of injury from a 20 v 30mph hit, if you factor in the 10% rule too (also one we should perhaps lose) the tide is defo turning

I would love to not have to drive but public transport in the moorlands is pants

Most of Brighton got a 20mph limit 10 years ago.
Everyone adapted pretty quickly.
As you say 30mph now seems very fast for double parked streets

I know I am wrong - I was built this way. I also appreciate the moral high-ground of ‘safety’; Here it comes - BUT - 20MPH sucks any joy from driving, pre supposes all drivers are morons and is a remarkably handy way for councils to stealth tax. Close to me is a new designated 20mph road. In it’s first year of service the speed cams have generated £1.6 million. Curiously the accident rate on this road has not dropped or risen. Having a speed limit slower than a man can run or certainly a bike can ride is another notch towards ‘ships are safest in port’. Which is true, it’s just not what they’re built for. P.s I am not Jeremy Clarkson and refer you to the opening sentance.

3 Likes

The wales thing is blanket all roads policy (with a few exceptions) which to me is the wrong way of doing it, risk assess the roads and make the ones that have middle or high risk of injury 20 and enforce it would be better imho. Like they do with street equipment, if there is an accident or near miss then add new 20 zones over time

For joy of motoring you don’t go down 30 mph roads surely?

1 Like

Ps given the current state of things that stealth tax will come in very handy to keep them afloat but not sure they get the revenue from traffic penalties (other than bus lanes and other mtv tickets)