Machine Learning / AI / SkyNet / Fields of Skulls

Another 40 years according to Zefram Cochrane

3 Likes

Kinda sucked if you had a red shirt on, but otherwise . . .

3 Likes

And then there was The Borg :grimacing:

1 Like

I’m counting on not being around by then

1 Like

They will probably find a way to assimilate the dead eventually

Well, the Tories have managed it so why couldn’t they?

4 Likes

…And so it begins…

…move fast and break things…” This has got to be the most quintessentially 2023 possible:

Half a forum tag line

‘Move things and breakfast’ more like.

6 Likes

An interesting (and scary) take here on how the misuse of AI may be a major contributor to the Fermi Paradox.

The link to Utrecht University’s account of Israel’s ‘Lavender’ AI system is worth a read, too.

Given humanity’s universal failure to keep any of its technologies under proper control, I truly do fear the worst…

1 Like

I was listening to R4 this morning reporting on a US launch of Chatgpt v4 where the bot was interacting with an interlocutor and was able to assess the mental state/attitude of the questioner by scanning their facial expression. You could almost hear the cogs whirring in the brain of the R4 presenter thinking, “that’s me, that’s my job” . Indeed it’s easy to imagine a well prepared AI presenter (armed with facts & truths) engaging a politician and insisting on a straight answer. From there, not too great a jump to imagine an AI political spokesperson being deployed to handle that interview and give pre programmed responses. It’s what many political interviews have sounded like for a number of years anyway. The question is, would people bother to listen to or watch such radio/TV knowing it was AIs slugging away at each other? Maybe the only appeal of listening to radio & TV interviews is seeing the interviewee be human, make mistakes, lie, get things wrong, be angry etc

2 Likes

Only a hop and skip until they can create a Maybot v2.0.

2 Likes

I’ve been very clear… Strong & Stable.

2 Likes

Brexit means Brexit.

Ironically meaningless.

2 Likes

I didn’t like it but that one at least made sense to me. “We decided we were going to leave and we are leaving fully, not just a bit”.

Red, White & Blue Brexit? Now that really was nonsense.

Perhaps that was what was in her head.

But … Northern Ireland (probably the most important exception).

1 Like

The average person is already so disengaged and disenfranchised from politics, that it’ll take less than this to make politics something that happens with negligible public scrutiny or involvement - dumbing-down has got us a long way there already…

I think the technology’s already far more advanced than that laughable marionette…

2 Likes

Will that and space, rather the vastness of space/ time itself. All of our radio emissions since Marconi cover a very small volume of our Galaxy . When combined with the likes of a rare earth theory the chances of any two civilisations being able to detect, let alone communicate, with each other remain more than low.

On a cheerier note all complex life will be extinct by 0.1% of the age of the universe, with all life snuffed out by 1% when all light ceases to exist. Drink more beer while you can.

2 Likes

…but in better news…

2 Likes