Marrakesh

We have been a few times….Marrakech, Essouira, and Agidir as part of “normal” holidays. Plus a touring holiday from Tangier to Rabat, Casablanca, and on to Zagora.

I am not aware of any areas that have been destroyed by the earthquake outside of the Atlas Mountains (Zagora has quite a bit of damage). Confirmed by my own Marrocan member of staff.
The people (apart from Hawkers) are great. Friendly and helpful.

Habitable accommodation is pricey in Marrakech, and Essouira. The others, not so much.

Food is cheap but ONLY BUY FRESHLY COOKED FOOD. Cheaper food can be had via buffet style restaurants offering a “Traditional Dining Experience”. Simple food cooked simply is the cliche to follow. Eat with locals. “Tourists don’t come back, so it’s OK to poison them” is a moto.

The food standards are NOT regulated. Any restaurant claiming otherwise is either lying or part of a local scheme (think Red Tractor). We have had more issues with food hygiene in Turkey and France.

Would I go back again ? No, but only because we are trying not to go to places we have been before.
Apart from that, we have no reason to dismiss Maroc as a destination.

1 Like

Remember Spain in the 70’s? Morrocco makes that look like somewhere you’d be happy to have open surgery. I went 5-6 times, Tangier / Ketama etc - escaped ‘bowel purge deluxe’ once. I’ve not been for 20 years so perhaps things have improved? I’d still go back - it’s the closest place to Europe where you really feel you’re somewhere quite different from ‘home’.

3 Likes