Marrakesh

Anyone been to Morocco? I’m genuinely considering going to Marakesh if I have to leave resort for a few weeks due to my arm. Cost of living seems to be incredibly low, which is a significant motivator right now.

I’d rather avoid having to go back to a house where my Dad lives at this point if I can at all avoid it.

There was quite a hefty quake hit Marrakesh not so long ago. Maybe not best time to visit.

Ooh, missed that completely.

It was a buggy

What about Turkey, especially one of the cities not coast resorts.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=France&country2=Turkey

Marrakech or Marrakesh - you may at least want to learn how to spell it before heading off… :wink:

I went to Morocco on a birding trip in 2006.

Only spent a couple of days in Marrakesh. What little I saw of the place was enough to make me want to return some day.

Street food was amazingly good.

Pendant!

3 Likes

Folks are there now.
They are really enjoying it.

Well this plan has already been completely kaiboshed - they’re simply terminating my contract because by the time I’ve gotten through even an optimistic prognosis for recovery, there will be fuck all work to do back in resort.

What actually comes next remains to be decided. I fear living in the same house as my father is looking quite inevitable at this point.

Their vision is limited.

There’s something notably different with those two unfortunately - it’s not their dominant arm that’s fucked. If I’d have broken my left arm I’d probably have been back in work already.

1 Like

Well I’ve mentally put Morocco back on the table, even if it’s for 6 weeks rather than 2

If you want the full ethnic experience, Rabat or Casablanca (Agadir at a pinch) are a better bet IMO.

Less touristy = less affected.

1 Like

We went 15yrs ago. I had the worst case of food poisoning I’ve ever experienced. Shitting water for 2 weeks. First 3 days are unspeakable to this day.

Hth

3 Likes

Oh interesting, I’d sort of expect Casablanca to be pretty touristy

Ditto - We went there in 1982 or 3 Claire had it really bad - Several weeks off work on return.
One of the very few never return again holidays.

Yep. Same, i was off work for 2 weeks.
Never going back.

1 Like

My friend (Andrew) became delirious with dysentery in Morocco. We got him to a doctor in Tangier, he leapt on his desk and shouted fucking help me! - I’ve not seen anything as desperate or as funny in a long while.

1 Like

There is tourism but far less so than Marrakech.