Martin Logan Aeon I - any good?

Hey folks…

Wondering if anyone’s ever heard a pair of these? What did you think of them? And do you have an opinion on what would be a fair price for a second-hand pair?

Thanks in advance.

not heard the Aeon but liked the other ones I’ve heard, try hifishark for previous sale prices

Get a powerful amp.

1 Like

My impression with a lot of the Martin Logan’s I’ve heard (including the Aeon i) was that the subwoofer and the panel weren’t particularly well integrated. Typically the panel is very good for mids and treble but the bass can be very slow. IIRC you listen to a lot of electronic music so a careful audition is a good idea.

3 Likes

I shall answer this in typical forum style;
I have not heard the Aoens, however, across their range MLs vary enormously in their ability to integrate the sub with the panel.
I like the sound of the Summit, but the Accent and Expression disappoint.
Suck it and see I guess.

2 Likes

I sense that deep disquiet that suggests we’ve agreed on something again. Please cease and desist.

:rage:

1 Like

Not a fan of MLs I’m afraid - very narrow sweet spot and to my ears I just don’t hear the depth of soundstage that fans tend to laud. As mentioned above, not convinced by the sub and panel integration either:

The answer of course is a blooming’ big pair of horns.

1 Like

Ok thanks. Seen recently in a house where I bought a bit of furniture from, and they make a good impression visually. Asked casually if they were for sale, and got a “make me an offer” response. Didn’t get to listen at the time, but have been mulling it over. Obviously I wouldn’t buy them without a decent audition anyway. I do love the electrostatic sound. I have a pair of ESL57s which are out of service till I can afford a full One Thing overhaul, and I love the sound of them so much, I’m inclined to think I should just wait till I can afford to do that, rather than pull in something else. I have always been intrigued by Martin Logan speakers though.

You could probably do a better job of integrating the ESLs with a sub, if you simply spent more time and used DSP, if that’s the sound you are after.

2 Likes

Again with the agreement… :confounded:

1 Like

I’ve had excellent results integrating the ESLs with a sub, and since then I have acquired a significantly better sub system that I haven’t tried with them, but which specifically works well with Quads (Bag End Audio ELF-1). It’s a insanely engaging sound, that I’m missing very much, but just can’t stretch to that grand and a half rebuild, and one of the speakers currently has two panels out of action.

I’ll get there though… it’s really the sweetest sound I’ve had at home.

1 Like

Hold off. Save your money. Spend it on the ESL upgrade.

5 Likes

Yeah I think you’re right. That’s what I feel really… just looking for a quick fix, I guess.

3 Likes

:rage: :rage: :rage:

2 Likes

Not bad audio quality for a UToob…