Meridian 551 230V to 110V

Hello,

This is my first post here.

I am downsizing and would like to buy an integrated amplifier, no more separates for me, just a simple system.

There is a Meridian 551 available for sale that has a CD card but it is a UK version [230/240V]. A 1000W step down transformer will solve the problem but I’ll be adding another link to the chain, just what I am trying to avoid.

Does anyone know if there is a 110V tap on the primary or if the switch mode power supply is a universal one. Lots of switch mode supplies take anything from 90 to 250 volts AC with no changes.

I’ll keep my 401 rebuilt by Ray Clark, an Ortofon AS-212 rebuilt by my dear friend Angus [Phonomac on AoS] and the Meridian 507 CD player. Still not sure what speakers will replace my Tannoy Devons.

Cheers,

Horacio

Looking at an image online, I see one that has a big 110V sticker in red. That makes me think that it’s unlikely to have any kind of auto switching, and you’d need a transformer.

I imagine that they would be helpful if you called.

It could be that the mains transformer has a split primary and at the factory they wire some of these in parallel and put a 110V sticker on and some of them in series and put a 230V sticker on. In which case ‘all’ Horacio will need to do would be to open up the case and change the wiring.

The fact that there’s a sticker suggests it’s not a universal switch-mode supply.

A quick look at internal pics suggests the transformer has a winding for a different voltage - it’s cheaper for manufacturers to have 10,000 transformers made with spare windings than have to get bunch of different specs made, so this is normal enough:

In the golden age of hifi there was a simple switch on the back - then internal jumpers - latterly - nothing, just a loop of wire.

Anyway, the manual mentions something which supports this idea:

As does the back panel:

So in the first instance you could indeed try a local dealer if such exists, or if not Meridian themselves.

If neither are forthcoming, then a decent electronics engineer should be able to figure it out - probably needs no more than one lead desoldering from the back of the IEC input and another attaching in its place.

I had a look at the internal pics too but was inclined to the opposite interpretation. The 220-240V ones have a blue sticker with those numbers on on the transformer. The 110V ones have a yellow sticker saying 110V. There were one or two pics where I was fairly sure I could only see two tails coming out of the toroid itself (in the other pics I couldn’t see the tails’ exit point). But it’s possible there was a third, or even a third and fourth, wire out of sight.

You’re right - it would take an electronics person just a few seconds to find out once they’d got the box open. Heads up though: some reviewer is grumbling that he can’t get inside because the case is fastened with security screws and he hasn’t got the right bit for his driver (amateur !).

1 Like

Yeah, if it’s a long-lived model it could have had multiple different transformers over the years - certainly the case with the AudioValve pre I’m busy ruining: early ones had a hilariously overspecified thing that took up half the casework, rather more modest in mine!

1 Like

That transformer does look like it’s being used for dual mono and a 3rd feed for the preamp section

Plug it in see what harpens, what could go wrong? Pictures or live video appreciated. :slight_smile:

the mask GIF

Thanks chaps.

I did write Meridian and also a service center but neither one was forthcoming. I guess Meridian did not reply for safety reasons.

Some Japanese valve amplifiers such as Luxman or Uesugi can be converted from 100V to 110V by resoldering just a wire.

Very interesting discussion.

Cheers,