Mince Pies... The Many Unhappy Returns of the Clag Police

I really like Heston’s pies. Just need to separate them in my head from things that are actually mince pies.

2 Likes

Yeah, some of them are great in their own right, as long as you accept they’re not mince pies in the strict hair shirt conformist sense.

1 Like

LOL, the fanaticism on here about mince pies is even more incomprehensible than the fanaticism about coffee. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

My great Auntie Rene from Newark made the best I’ve ever had.
Would constantly eat them all when we used to see her at Xmas

Then-wife and I made our own mincemeat once. Couldn’t find packaged suet over in the US so got some kidney fat from the butcher. The pies tasted good.

1 Like

My Auntie Rene from not-so-far-away Boston still makes very good mince pies indeed. She always made better pastry than my mum (her sister) because Rene’s hands were colder, she said.

Was taught to run your wrists under cold water before making pastry

2 Likes

After all the years of pie threads, it finally transpires the last scions of pie are known as ‘Renes’. I’m not sure what to do with this information other than keeping a very keen eye out for Renes to either befriend or kidnap.

Bloody hell ! That’s taken me back. I remember the distinct smell.
My paternal grandfather ran a printer-copier business. I used to clean his machines.

1 Like

First batch of Mrs VB’s this year (unusually early for her). Home-made mincemeat as usual (less sucrose, more fructose for T1Diab reasons). I have run a QC check on one and very acceptable it was too :yum:.

16 Likes

Looking good without ‘dusting’.

2 Likes

….or crumble (or brown butter, but let’s not mention that in polite discussions)

1 Like

It’s a shame they don’t last very long. Otherwise there might have been some left for when @Mrs_Maureen_OPinion and Sam stop by next Friday. Never mind. As luck would have it I have to be in Wantage early that morning to have my retinas imaged. Wantage has a Waitrose, so if necessary I can drop in and pick up some of those nice Heston B ones.

4 Likes

Praises to Mrs. VB. Delivering decency in an orgy of awful. I feel quite emotional.

5 Likes

Ordered

4 Likes

I will have cause to visit.

1 Like

Ahha! I knew you to be a man of decorum, you are of course be most welcome- Please bring a fine potato masher & some outstanding cream - We shall warm them in the workshop bearing oven again.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Well suited to an afternoon by the fire. I can’t help but wonder sometimes if a few of the gentlemen here haven’t completely lost their bearings.

1 Like

Beautifully packaged in a luxury cane hamper basket, this hamper makes a truly wonderful gift for family, friends and colleagues.

I exist on a slightly different plane of Secret Santa to this lot.

2 Likes