Mince Pies... The Many Unhappy Returns of the Clag Police

Thanks mate :roll_eyes:

Joking aside, the young girl in Floā€™s class was still coming into school despite three of her household having symptoms. :tired_face:

All four subsequently tested positiveā€¦ :sob:

3 Likes

Hope sheā€™s OK Jim.

The kid should have been in isolation as soon as anyone in her household showed symptoms, especially so if anyone had tested +ve.

1 Like

We had something similar at school with a kid in my youngestā€™s class. The mother had the stupidity to moan about the inconvenience of isolation after the fact. Iā€™m not sure exactly what the response of the other parent was, but Jackie wasnā€™t impressed with her at all. I hope they gave her a faceful

As I said, I hope Flo is ok. There really are some very thick and very feckinā€™ inconsiderate cunts out there.

3 Likes

Thanks Olan. Sheā€™s very careful with masks, distancing etc, so fingers crossed sheā€™ll be ok.

2 Likes

The kids should be taken into care more like.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s hoping Floā€™s OK, Bruv.

1 Like

Best wishes for Flo Jim.

On a happier subject I have a sort-of-technical question from Mrs VB. Sheā€™s been making up her own mincemeat for years, partly to keep the sucrose/glucose levels down for my benefit. It tastes lovely but itā€™s not nearly as sticky/jammy/homogenised in consistency as the store-bought stuff. This makes it a bit lumpy to handle when sheā€™s filling the pies. Then she heard Somebody Archer (donā€™t ask me) on, er The Archers, say that they boil their home made mincemeat up for a while before using it. This, apparently, jamifies it. So she asked me to ask anyone here who makes their own whether they do this, and whether it works. I think sheā€™s going to try it on a small sample of this yearā€™s batch. But she was surprised to find next to no mention of this technique either in cookbooks or on the interweb. So is it really a good idea ?

VB

Sounds unusual, wouldnā€™t boiling rob the flavor and spicing?

merry berry warms hers, without the booze

warming (not boiling) will release the oils in the spices. In the same way as toasting does when you grind your own for a curry

Warming is very different to what is being suggested here. (Of course the mince meat is also ā€˜warmedā€™ when the pie is cooked)

Mrs VB says it was definitely bubbling (on the wireless).

I remember my great aunt making jam when I was a child. Spectacular quantity of sugar. That was boiling too. Very, very dangerous stuff ā€¦

VB

I remember my Nan trying out her new microwave by ā€˜warmingā€™ a jam doughnut. - It burned my mouth and chin badly - Trust levels hit the floor. Of course I was rewarded with the ā€œItā€™s come from a hot place you ejitā€ consolation.

2 Likes

Add Pectin to get it jammy-er.

Maybe just boil a quarter of it to provide the gloopiness

We speculated that the un-gloopiness, if you like, was caused by the suet not being melted and spread through the rest of the mix. I think weā€™d have to heat all of it, otherwise weā€™d still be left with three-quarters of the suet in concentrated lumps.

VB

Just got back after strolling round to the village church. They are having a charity home-made bake sale. Of course, I wouldnā€™t normally eat any of these things, but you have to support the local community, donā€™t you, so Iā€™ll force a few of them down :joy::joy:

7 Likes

Glad you got something to tide you over until Tiffin Time is allowed again.

1 Like

Proper parenting. Never did us any harm etc etcā€¦

Ours gets baked gently for 3 hours at 225F / 125C with foil over the bowl to stop it from drying out; it comes out quite gloopy, with the spices and suet (Atora, beef or veggie) fully amalgamated but still has some bite to the apple. :yum: :yum:

If you donā€™t cook it at all, the apple will ferment :face_vomiting: