Model making

Outdoor loo, at the back?
Must be very satisfying to do such good work.

1 Like

Nearly done, should be finished by end of week to make way fir phono stage build.

7 Likes
1 Like

Vinegar strokes…

11 Likes

Same paint scheme?

1 Like

Lol, premiereship footballer style phono stage, i think Pete would take a contract out on me!

Well you do want your system to ‘disappear’ when you listening :grinning:

1 Like

Nice job on the canopy, lost count of how many of those I managed to get glue or paint all over. Most annoying was when I’d detailed the cockpit of a Huey and then somehow the whole canopy fogged from the glue :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

It’s certainly a step up from when i last made this model, age 9:) Still nowhere near as good as the pro model makers.

1 Like

I’m in awe of some of the stuff that gets posted up on Britmodeller, some serious skills on display.

2 Likes

Photo from a Canberra?

2 Likes

Just looked at that. :flushed: Wowser indeed.

1 Like

You’re forgetting that coco LCR # 2, the Not As Good As Dave’s 9000 - the one I have, is green inside. He has form! :laughing:

2 Likes

9 Likes

I like it but it seemed to annoy a lot of people on the Wam when you first built it. :grin:

2 Likes

Because you should care what people on the internet think. :clown_face:

3 Likes

We used to make high-voltage components out of acrylic (Perspex) at work and this was a real issue since high-voltage tracking (arcing across the surface) was made much worse if the surface wasn’t pristine. We had trouble with cements based on the monomer (methyl methacrylate) but anything with acetone or MEK in it tended to be worse. Some thoughts from Permabond here Replace solvent welding techniques with industrial adhesive but they are trying to flog their products of course.

One contributory factor is surface stress which is always present in extruded acrylic and might very well be there in moulded items too, I imagine. It is possible to anneal it out. The trick is to warm the part in an oven to the point where the stress relaxes (takes longer at lower temp), but not so hot that the object changes shape, obviously. I never actually did the annealing, so don’t know the temp, but there’s lots of guidance online.

1 Like

It was very nice but needed moar Ag… :grin:

Graeme, fogged from the glue is modeler code for him getting glue on his fingers and spreading it all over the clear plastic. Foxes glacier mint ensues…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

:grin: