Model making

We have a Model Making degree - I always make a point of going to see the work of the graduates at their graduate exhibition. They are very very good, the range of employers is very wide… although most end up heading towards film and TV, and some in architectural practice

1 Like

Great to watch

They often just use the basic hull and superstructure, and then only as a guide. The rest of the details like guns, antennae, decks, guard rails, ladders etc etc etc are either made from photo etched brass (which can be tiny, monstrously fiddly model kits in their own right) or completely scratch built. 2 years is a quick build for something like a 1/200 battleship.

2 Likes

The most impressive one I’ve seen is a fifth scale of a nuclear submarine. These were so accurate that dims would be taken from the model into production. All replaced by CAD now of course.

I also get to see lots of shipyard models, owners would typically order up a few at the same time as the ship and the Yard modelmakers were amongst the highest skilled trades. My old school, Royal Hospital school, had a display of the Japanese dreadnought Mikasa , originally made at Barrow by Vickers. Couldn’t find an imager of that one, but this is the one in Japan. All made from plate brass and turned steel.

4 Likes

A bit more progress. Have ordered up more paint, brushes and some tools.

2 Likes

Paint delivery, time for more progress…

Nearly there, two halves don’t fit so major fetling required, sigh. It’s been fun though.

9 Likes

16 Likes

Thinking about building the VW Golf kit. Rather than just crack on I’m contemplating investing in an airbrush kit to do it properly.
There’s an abundance of choice which is a (1st world) problem. Anyone here know anything about airbrushing please? Advice on what to buy and avoid is most welcome? Budget will be enough for a decent kit that gives good results.

Seen these 2 but not sure what else I’ll need?
(Will try to buy from an independent model shop)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LO4PKY2/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_wXUQEb6Z826TT

And

1 Like

In the interests of DIY…

I have a DeVilbiss, but I’ve never actually used it - scrounged from my sister with the intention of putting it to use at some point.

2 Likes

He’s done a good job. I’m guaranteed to bugger that up, unfortunately.

1 Like

Yeah, my hand would look like I’d been self administering acupuncture if I tried to make that nozzle.

1 Like

Decided I’ll ring a shop, talk to an actual person and buy what they recommend.

2 Likes

:scream:

Begone foul mouthed beast and leave his body now

This!

Surely you have already decided based on a google and a few YouTube videos, then ask our opinions before ignoring them and buying the first one your saw anyway

1 Like

Nope
I can’t be arsed to read and fuck about with it. I just want a kit that works. I started to look and it’s another massive black hole

UR a BAD MAN! You make Jeff Bezos CWY!!!

This may be of interest -

At LEGO.com you can find all the iconic All-Stars from your favourite Star Wars™ movies to celebrate Star Wars™ Day on May the 4th. Discover the new Star Wars™ products or browse one of the creative playsets for both kids and adults. Make great memories with PayPal and LEGO.com at home, use the force to build with LEGO bricks and create a galaxy of adventures together.

LEGO.com is now offering a free mystery gift for purchases over £20, if you pay with PayPal and use the promocode.*

Promo code: GBPP

It seems model shops are run off their feet. Selling in a day what they’d normally shift in a week. A sellers market.
Never the less, someone is calling me on Monday at 9am to talk me though things.

2 Likes