Mondie's speaker endgame: 4-way active, high efficiency horn system development

Bonkers Project, love it😍

Speakers look amazing and 4 years to buy them with all the faff is truly impressive commitment to a design

Congrats, would love to hear them some day

4 Likes

Lovely .

1 Like

I finally found the time today to peel off the protective plastic covering the polished stainless steel cabinets and tidy up the small bits of plastic stuck in the corners from when I first unwrapped the baffles last week. The idea of the polished steel is to make the speakers blend into their environment and disappear, well as much as having a pair of fridges in your living room can. I think it is a fantastic bit of design and is really effective. These are about the best pics I could manage today. I need to get serious about sorting the room, speakers that act as mirrors just make it look even more shambolic!

After a week or playing around with positioning, I think I am there for now. They are remarkably unfussed by placement. Once I start hanging some treatments some further tweaking will be required.

20 Likes

Lovely, but, you’re going to need to move that fireplace, cos of OCD reasons :confused:

2 Likes

Also always remember to wear clothes when taking photographs :grinning:

15 Likes

Nope, leave that exactly off centre to trigger a certain type.

But you need to bin those CDs tho’ :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

DA question, but what are the little blue lights?

1 Like

They look great simon…

1 Like

The fireplace is a bastard but I am stuck with the damn thing. I will never use it. Due to the configuration of the room, I am stuck with the fireplace being off centre. Once the room is properly organised, I may be able to do something to make it less prominent, just not sure what yet.

Wearing my best shorts, but you did have me for a minute until I checked the pics. This is the thinnest I have ever looked, its like having crazy funfair mirrors in your living room.

2 Likes

Those are the amps, the front plate has adjustments for each 3-octave band, plus a system gain control.

Thanks. My knowledge of such things is gloriously low.

1 Like

Wow, you lucky thing. Well done, they look incredible. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Thank you FCT, they really do. My clutter-infused photos don’t really show them at their best but I will get that sorted and some better pics soon.

1 Like

They certainly tick the ‘shiny’ and ‘new’ boxes :ok_hand:

1 Like

Heard these at considerable length today at Mondie Towers.
Consider all superlatives used up. They are peerless music machines.

15 Likes

But (shallow alert) they also look the tits :+1:

2 Likes

Rather than start a new thread I thought it better to kick this one back to life.

After nearly a year with my speakers finally, last week, I got rid of a pile of clutter from the shed and was at last able to unpack and sort through the room treatments I bought and imported at the same time as the speakers. I brought in just four of the wall panels and placed them in strategic positions in the room just as a taster.

The result was rather staggering!

I have experienced treated rooms many times including some of the professional installations Paul @ Lenard has done in Oz so I know very well just how amazing the improvements can be, which is the reason I bought all the panels and had them precut for my room in the first place.

But it’s still amazing when you hear it. I cannot quite believe the difference a few panels littering the room has made, I will drag in some more wall panels on the weekend and spread them along the front wall and this will make an even greater difference than those already in place, which is going to be exciting to hear.

We have lift-off :slight_smile:

The room still looks as shit as it first did, I dunno how the Mrs puts up with it but perhaps it’s her fault it looks like this, as she does! Anyway, consider it a WIP, complete with special multi-phase soiund diffusing light fittings :face_vomiting:

16 Likes

What are the panels?

They are a commercial sound treatment panel made in Oz and only available to people in the building trade. They measure 2400 x1200 x 50mm. Made from recycled PET bottles I believe. Each panel is around 15kg.

1 Like