Money Pit

Looks like a couple of million needs spending.

Hmmph
I thought this was going to be another R2R thread.

4 Likes

I was hoping someone had bought a Phaeton

7 Likes

Someone buy it,we can have combined bake offs as we do it up

Grade II* listed. So I don’t think we’ll be doing it up.

VB

Sympathetically restored then…ish

1 Like

How can they sell when it’s not possible to get access to look around ?

Not interested now.

We did have some dealings with heritage people in Jersey who told us what we could/couldn’t do.

They said we had to keep all the original skirtings etc Was only when we pointed out that there were 6 different skirts used that they got a bit stumped on what one to use.

It was a total pain in the arse,the conservation people wanted double glazed windows,the heritage people wanted the originals still.Ended up taking 6 months to sand 18 or so smallish sash windows then most of them had to be reglazed

What a great building. I really hope someone with the means to renovate it buys the place and restores it to its former glory.

Sadly, I think Bob’s estimate of £2m is probably less than half of what would be needed.

I’ll do it for £600 and a mini digger.

Think the 8 bed one we did got close to a mill over 10 years ago.
Absolute money pit

Having spent quite a bit of time working in Penrith a few years back, in my experience it wouldn’t be too hard to herd a number of local badgers onsite to do night time ‘refurbishments’ for a very reasonable outlay.

I’ve heard of listed buildings inexplicably ‘going on fire’. I’ve not heard of any inexplicably getting the blockwork-and-plasterboard treatment, complete with Everest windows. “It was fine when we left on Friday. When we got back on Monday morning it had been stone-clad !”

VB

1 Like

Pebbledash FTW!

Tyrolean.

VB

Assuming it’s pretty derelict inside, hence the no internal access. I wouldn’t give more than £25. Ten million could disappear very quickly restoring that place. Sadly it’s location would mean it’s never gonna be worth the cost of restoring it. You would need to develop the grounds to get close.