....more armchair politics (Part 1)

I think part of that is that Biden was possibly the worst of the “serious” candidates (there were a few grade A lunatics in the early stages) for the Dem nomination. He still seems to operate as though the GOP are acting in good faith despite all available evidence to the contrary. There are plenty of things he could have done that he’s opted not to do, and whilst there are various hypothesis, I genuinely don’t know why. He certainly also seems to stick to the norms of politics despite the GOP having clearly decided that should all be thrown out. He’s certainly been utterly unwilling to fight fire with fire.

I already noticed that Labour isn’t quite fit for either opposition, let alone winning elections, but it starts to look like their failing insights turn out to be basically sheer stupidity.
It is also incredible to read that initially unions were against PR.
The 1973 sick man of Europe is the same sick man of Europe in 2022.
I’m now beyond despair, which is just me, but I think the UK will soon be beyond economic repair.

2 Likes

13 Likes

The scientific aspect of the Conservative party is that they try to prove empirically that IQ can be reflected in negative numbers.

I see that Kwarteng’s “allies” are blaming City types for the pound cratering again this morning - yes, those guys whose bonuses he just uncapped, but that’s by the by.

I’m wondering who these “allies” are. Even those notorious lefties the flipping RSPB is gunning for him; surely he can’t have many friends left.

No friends left, buy some more

Conservative govts setting records

Latest one is that the pound is the lowest it’s ever been against the dollar at $1.03 early this morning

(record low was $1.05 in 1985)

Dear Chancellor,

Please note you are fucking with my record purchases.

I can’t think of anything sharp, large, fast or cruel enough to suggest you cram up your bung hole.

Please use your dim imagination

Mr. Furious Thirty three.

6 Likes

The bed is well and truly shat.

1 Like

Far Right Fascists appear to be heading for power in Italy.

Oh joy.

Kwarteng does consultancy for Crispin Odey, who’s fund has made nearly £200M already betting against the pound. This really does feel like the Tories salting the fields as they retreat. Nasty bastards.

1 Like

Those conservatives promised a high wage, high income economy, there you are.
They never said for whom it was intended.

1 Like

Interesting to read in the article:

“Ministers also plan to allow more migrant workers in some sectors as part of its growth strategy - in order to address labour shortages.”

Happy to see that all those initial pre-Brexit jobs that these forrunners stole from the English have now been occupied.
The end of the food banks comes near… Ahem.

Honeymoon period already over?

3 Likes

read that they will be coordinating letters going in if the £ hits parity or drops below the $

It’s not really surprising, there were loads of warnings that tax cuts like this will scare the market resulting in the £ turning to shite.

High earners go short on the pound.
Higher earnings, result, Conservative promise kept.

1 Like

I don’t suppose there is a limit to the number of times a party can change PM before a GE is triggered? I doubt it’s ever been such an issue before…

1 Like
1 Like

I remember when 12 1/2p or 2 shillings and sixpence was referred to as half a dollar. Yep an eighth of a pound = half a dollar.

2 Likes

Five years divided by the lead time for the Conservative Party members election for new PM.
With roughly 2 months lead time, about 30 times.

1 Like