New budget laptop vs MacBook pro (2015)

IIRC none of the XPS13 models could have their RAM upgraded aftermarket. Some XPS15s can but that’s screen size that doesn’t really add much value if you are going to use a monitor.

1 Like

Seems a decent price, so you won’t lose much if you buy it and it’s not far enough. I reckon it’ll be fine, those XPS machines are nice.

A new desktop at that price will be much faster though, there is a price premium and performance penalty for getting a laptop.

1 Like

bit short on RAM

@Rob998 seems like the RAM is soldered on to the MB

1 Like

I think I’ll give it a go, if it’s not up to the job I’ll move it on and make the space for a desktop.

Should be good that, Rob. Slightly older version and an i5 rather than i7 of the one I sold.

I doubt you’ll run into any RAM problems, Windows memory management is very good these days.

1 Like

Missed it. Sold on the wam apparently.

Losing the will to live now, just tried to order this and literally as I hit the add to basket icon it went out of stock…

3 Likes

Roffle

1 Like

you have my sympathy.

Something like this?
Acer Aspire F5-771G, Intel Core i7-7500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD+1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M Graphics Card (cashconverters.co.uk)

That would probably do the job Gregg, but the photos are a bit shit, so I’d be taking a bit of a punt, and unfortunately I don’t want to risk it if I can’t actually have a look at it. I’d rather buy from someone on the forums, where there’s a bit of trust. Failing that I’ll probably go new build similar to Simons link.

If you are going to use a monitor you’ll be much better off with a desktop. Plenty of decent spec ex-company HP or compaq units out there. As was posted earlier, a new (9-10th gen) i3 is better than an old (3-4th gen) i7 so an 8th gen i5 is going to be quite capable with fast RAM and an m2 drive. Many of these are small form factor so won’t take up any more desk than a laptop or they’ll work as a monitor riser

1 Like

Acer are utter shite. Would buy literally anything else.

Got sick of endlessly chasing disappearing deals, so I bought this that Gregg gave me a heads up about:

Will try it with my old tv first and pick up a monitor if it’s no good. These things can mount on the back of a monitor can’t they?

2 Likes

It depends how your monitor stand is connected. Usually these little computers need a cage and the cage attaches to the VESA mounts on the back of the screen. If the stand uses them then you have nowhere to fix the cage. But they are tiny, it’ll sit behind the monitor on the desk

1 Like

The tiny bit is a big plus, can be shoved out of the way easily.

i just put some bolts in the vesa holes - and then used some cable ties to mount behind the monitor.

My i5 NUC is now a second PC for work, sitting daintily atop the i7 desktop

1 Like

Yes. Mine came with the screws and mounting plate.

1 Like

Filth!