New budget laptop vs MacBook pro (2015)

Does it really need to be a laptop?

1 Like

Just for convenience, don’t really have anywhere sensible to put a desktop.

Similar situation here Rob, laptop is the only practical solution unfortunately.

1 Like

Bloke I work with uses a refurbed dell pc unit for fusion for ÂŁ130,has been faultless so far

1 Like

Tower or lappy?

Tower, should of read the thread properly.
Is a mini sized thing

He bought two, one for ebay side of things and one for the cnc

1 Like

It might be that I have to go down that route, most laptops that are really up to the job are out of my price range.

Can find out more info if you get to that point.

He did a fair bit of research before he decided on the dell

1 Like

Yeah, stuff like processor model and speed, what graphics card & how much ram would be helpful.

Think it was one of the optiplexs
Just spoke to him, he said he will see if he can get the model number.

Is it for a 3d printer, he mentioned something about rendering which needs a lot of power, but afraid it means nothing to me

1 Like

for CAD, you want a big screen. Dell and lenovo do micro PCs that bolt to the VESA mount at the back of the screen (Im waiting for one myself). Stone Refurb sometimes have them. They are like pre-built, cheaper NUCs.

2 Likes

Yeah, for a 3D printer.

Just get desktop and a decent monitor. For CAD a laptop screen will be too small, really (albeit you can obvs plug it into an external monitor). A desktop is going to be significantly cheaper for the same performance.

1 Like

Think that’s the way I’ll have to go. I’ll ask some of the 3D guys on the model forum what they find works for them.

This might sound like a stupid question, would a 1080p 40” telly work as a monitor?

Don’t see why it wouldn’t, although you’ll want to turn off any enhancement type crapola. There is a small chance you may experience lag, but it would depend on the specific TV. Sitting close to a 40" 1080p screen might also look low res. as they’re designed to be viewed from further away.

1 Like

It’s an old Sony, it’s got hdmi and one of those blue multi pin sockets (proper name escapes me for the moment…).

Will try plugging in Claire’s or one of the kids laptops in to see.

Yeah, give it a whirl. Blue multi-pin (15 pin) sounds like VGA. Must be quite old? You may actually get better performance using the VGA vs HDMI.

1 Like

God yeah, ancient but refuses to die. Absolutely no smart facilities at all. Old Skool.

Just sent me this,

They run my lathe , mill ( so far in tests) and fusion 360 no problem ,
although i dont do proccessor hungry things like complex rendering with
fusion.

I have bought 3 of them so far and the service has been fine from this
vendor !

1 Like

Prob not, you’ll likely be too close. I use a 32” hd tv and it’s borderline too big. Plus 1080 is ok but not great for cad, a 1440 27” would be better