New budget laptop vs MacBook pro (2015)

Comparing the processors:

The new i3 is much faster in every respect than the old i7. And then you have way faster RAM, and you can use an M2 SSD in a modern computer, which is much faster than a SATA SSD.

1 Like

you got a link to your seller?

I bought from Scan

1 Like

OS?

8th gen i5 here with no OS Xenta MT Core i5 8th Gen 16GB RAM 240GB SSD No-OS Desktop PC

can rem what budget was.

Download for free from MS, activate if you can be bothered, whether official or unofficial!

1 Like

MS are giving windows away???

You can download it for free from them, and install it. Activation costs money, if you choose to do it through MS!

So, Iā€™ve done bugger all about this, and although building a brand new pc would probably be the best solution, thereā€™s still an issue about where Iā€™m going to put it.

Anyway seen this:

Any good?

I could probably just stretch to it as Iā€™ve just sold my old phone.

Looks good. Little offer on the way?

That was our last laptop spec for the business before we recently upgraded to the latest XPS15" i7. Great laptop that did everything we needed but then we werenā€™t doing the kind of graphics handling that you might be considering.

1 Like

Iā€™m waiting to find out if itā€™ll do the job for some low level cad work, I really have no idea about computers any longer so I have to display my ignorance and plead for help here :pensive:

A quick google shows it seems to be ok value wise, will still try to get a few quid off though!

The only thing thatā€™s worrying me is if the ram is upgradable or soldered in. I could live with the small screen I think, can always think about a 23ā€ monitor or something later if it turns out to be a problem.

IIRC none of the XPS13 models could have their RAM upgraded aftermarket. Some XPS15s can but thatā€™s screen size that doesnā€™t really add much value if you are going to use a monitor.

1 Like

Seems a decent price, so you wonā€™t lose much if you buy it and itā€™s not far enough. I reckon itā€™ll be fine, those XPS machines are nice.

A new desktop at that price will be much faster though, there is a price premium and performance penalty for getting a laptop.

1 Like

bit short on RAM

@Rob998 seems like the RAM is soldered on to the MB

1 Like

I think Iā€™ll give it a go, if itā€™s not up to the job Iā€™ll move it on and make the space for a desktop.

Should be good that, Rob. Slightly older version and an i5 rather than i7 of the one I sold.

I doubt youā€™ll run into any RAM problems, Windows memory management is very good these days.

1 Like

Missed it. Sold on the wam apparently.