New DAC?

Ah right, had no idea the “port” was a product and thought you were just referring to the input port :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. Dumb name.

It looks like a black fag packet.

edit: albeit a large fag packet

Under budget? Shocking :thinking:

Yep that’s the one. I wasn’t really sure of any benefit using something else to stream to a DAC and the app works well enough.

Yes. Lumin do have an Android app but it is shite so Apple all the way. The Lumin iOS app is very good.

how similar is the AN Kits version to the AN UK one?

Not even close, I had the ANK 4.1 for a short while (think I may have bought it from @Ijrussell ) and while it sounds OK it doesn’t have that Audio Note sound.

I’m not sure Dom is up for an AN kit build tbh :rofl:

Most disappointing amplifier ever!

:sob:

I’ve not heard this but I think it is supposed to sound nice.

I’ve got an Aqua La Voce 2 which is also nice, about 1K used, there were a few different Aqua DACs on ebay recently but only the TOTR one at 8K is there at the moment.

1 Like

Sorry to butt in. I have the original TT and looking to move to the TT2 as I want to run my speakers via the 17w XLR output. I’ve recently read the TT2 is more detailed but a little dryer in presentation and not so good on vocals. Have you any thoughts on this?

Rave reviews £2795

1 Like

Don’t. Just don’t. Yes, I know what Rob said and all that but the output stage was never designed for that sort of load and it tends to fail after a while doing it.

The original TT is the one recent Chord product I never spent any time with. The newer stuff (DAVE onward) has some changes to the code on the FPGA and a longer filter length. I really think that you can’t say it’s ‘brighter’, ‘warmer’, ‘dryer’ etc. It just does a better job of giving what’s on the recording and if that recording is a bit matter of fact, it’ll sound a bit matter of fact.*

*The Mscaler is a bit different. It’s not unreasonable to say that does have an influence on what you hear but it’s still one that has some beard strokingly solid measurements to go with it.

1 Like

Thanks Ed. I’ve been running my Voxativ speakers (which I got from Richard on here) through the headphone output on the TT with good results. I was hoping the TT2 would make for an improvement & easier connection.

Well I have gone for a second hand Audio Note 2.1 balanced, once lockdown is done :+1:

Would I see any benefit changing from the Sonos port to something else? I’m not using cds or anything ripped, solely streaming tidal etc

5 Likes

I don’t get why you don’t just get a streamer with a built in DAC.
My streamer even has a built in pre amp, which I am currently using straight to my power amps as I have no vinyl replay at the moment.
There are plenty of other inputs (optical digital from TV etc).

In theory Tidal has content up to 192kHZ on it so there’s a notional benefit but the 2.1 tops out at 96kHz if I remember right so going mental doesn’t seem worth it? The Sonos interface is nice too. If you really wanted a new toy, THIS would play nice with the Audio Note.

I think I’m against it because if streaming changed at least I don’t have to ditch the whole thing, just the streaming part.
I’m looking for long term :+1:

It’s most of the reason I stuck with it, will leave it be then

I realised I don’t just stream from Tidal I have a NAS in the system as well.

I just plug an SSD into the Lumin’s usb. Job done. Can’t be arsed with NAS drives.

1 Like

I’m REALLY pleased with my Denafrips Terminator. I paid £2.5 for it. But they are rare second hand. I upgraded from a Young Dac which I really liked. But, the Denafrips is a different league. It makes all Cds sound great - even ripped mp3s or live stuff recorded years ago. I never find it fatiguing.

If I hadn’t bought Denafrips I would probably have gone T+A DAC 8. A second hand T+A can be picked up at a good price if you are patient. Or Exogal or Aqua. Possibly PS Audio. MCRU have a deal on the PS Audio at the moment.

1 Like