New Listening Room build

I guess that largest horn might be a 160 or there abouts, heres a pair of EJMLC 160’s (large footprint compared to the round versions) in the room.

8 Likes

Haha, what about the rest of it? That’s the version he might show the missus! :rofl:

1 Like

:innocent:

“I’m sure we discussed this at the time”.

Thought just showing the largest horn that might be needed gives an idea of what you end up with, minimum. Here WE 12a (Wife friendly version).

9 Likes

as headphones, pretty much.

2 Likes

There’s plenty of room sideways, maybe lab-subs like you’ve got Ritchie to the side of the mid-range horn(s)?

Reckon you have lots of choices, listen to everything you can.

My perception would be that the elliptical horns Simon is suggesting if going straight, would be a better bet than mine because you will be able to get them tighter together vertically. Reckon that may help with integration as you’ll be near field. If snail, I think you can hang other drivers/horns in the mouth and use a digital xo to time align. Bass could be horn or open baffle…

1 Like

Yep, too big for sure re. WE

Heres a WE 25a so a little smaller just for perspective, not suggesting they are used just an example of a slightly smaller horn on mid.

2 Likes

Dozens of horn heads in Japan may disagree. :grin:

2 Likes

Yes, I bet and the 25a would be nicely set in the centre of a 15a, bet it sounds good though.

Heres a few more horns in the set up, still think this is too big and going circular wont reduce the space between listening position and horn. The 25a looks better in terms of spacing…that angled back wall is a bugger.

5 Likes

The room doesn’t allow for this with doors and windows being obstructed but this gives more space from listening position to speakers but again not sure about the angled wall and reflections etc.

2 Likes

Cheers for all of the layout suggestions and sketches Simon, much appreciated. :+1:

1 Like

Anytime, just shout if you want any further ideas drawn up, happy to help.

1 Like

Sideways 12A’s FTW. Basically what you have Si, but with the 12A’s on their sides, arms outwards.

3 Likes

Yeah :heart_eyes: with horn subs and Acapella plasma tweeters…

1 Like

You need to talk to Simon about a quote then!

Ideally you want an upper-mid channel as well, because the Acapella is only good from 5kHz up and while the 12A/555 may just about get to 5khz it’s not ideal. Might do as a start, though.

Plus some horn bass units, obvs.

2 Likes

Like so, still tight, mine are 2900mm from listening position and you’ve heard that, we have 2200mm with sofa pushed back a bit. The thing to do here might be a trial set up you know once these 12a horns I am using are replaced. I would want to hear them in room if I were Jim.

Cross the snail horns at least an octave below where most people do, they are just too directional, the power at 5k just is not there. Wente originally specified running the 555 at 10V… got too hot… derated to 7V and just moved on. I think 3 way with the Faital 10AK or similar will be instructive…but I think this was your idea from the start.

4 Likes

This will be epic.

9 Likes

Mega. :+1:

4 Likes

Just to add, I am not touting for work here, that would make me a bit of a tosser and as it stands that is debatable and I would hope to keep it that way.

5 Likes