New Music Room - Help Required

Like most libraries, it’s there mostly for decorative purposes :rofl:

5 Likes

Avoid my mistakes.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/34204-new-music-room/?tab=comments#comment-737636

Gents,

Many thanks for all the information and guidance. I shall speak to my mate and send him a link to the thread so that he can see what can be done within my budget.

You’ve all be very helpful (well, some of you anyway :wink:)

Cheers,

Diane

Don’t start that shit over here.

What mistakes did you make? I’ve just read your thread, didn’t look like you made any major fuck-ups, or do you mean the epic thread crapping that went on? :heart_eyes:

My mistake was not having the money to follow the advice that Simon SJS would have kindly provided to me as to materials, construction methods etc. I did it on a shoestring using only basic timber frame and single sheet plasterboard walls rather than a dedicated designed sound room within the existing garage superstructure.

Looks OK but is in reality a very large bass absorbing wobble board formed by the walls, the timber floor and ceilings. Another five thousand, which was not available at the time, would have seen a solid floor and double thickness of sound board used for all walls and ceilings with proper joint detailing between them.

It is used daily by SWMBO and I. It sounds half decent. Also usable as a normal living room if the hi-fi ever came out of it so not bad. 6/10 maybe as a hi-fi room.

2 Likes

Yeah while I think that solid is usually better, I’m sure I’ve heard great sounding rooms that are boarded. Plenty of mass (double ply?) and support systems should mean resonances are not intrusive.

Personally I don’t mind some bass issues as long as they’re not gross. I usually have much more problem with rooms where the live/dead balance is wrong.

surely just marketing bollocks

it has sounded a lot better than 6/10 to me when I have visited, I think you are underselling it somewhat, better than most non-dedicated rooms

1 Like

Last room I did had plasterboard over ply, on metal stud frame, with rockwool in the void behind, to the block and concrete walls. Walls were stiff enough, but not too stiff. Seemed to work out nicely in the end.

with an empty shell that needs wall and ceiling linings, non-parallel walls and creation of voids can avoid most bass issues, and a lot of flutter echo issues.

a lot of “sound” rooms today are overdamped for hifi as the interior designers and builders are used to doing AV and home cinema rooms, and they sound dead with 2 channel

The best music rooms are not regular shapes and have solid floors.

1 Like

I liked that ground floor room at Scalford,forget the name,but was a lovely size