New vinyl is pissing me off

Why is it that virtually every new record I buy has some degree of warping.
I’m reckoning 1 in every 10 is flat.
Why the fuck can’t they get this right? It is pissing me off.
I know all the old guys who worked the presses in the hay days of vinyl are now retired or dead, but whatever one man can do so can another it can’t be that hard surely.
And some level of quality control would be of benefit.

It seems to be a problem that effects 180g pressings. Never had a 110g pressing arrive warped, I’ve managed to warp a few in my time though :grinning:

1 Like

Yep, I’ve almost given upon on Amazon etc for this very reason. I buy almost everything from my local record shop. The exceptions are the limited pressing LPs from the likes of Drone Rock, Cardinal Fuzz and Polytechnic Youth where the QC is always exceptionally good.

1 Like

This record store one from a few years ago was great.

2 Likes

Agree 100%

I completely fail to see the attraction of 180g or 200g vinyl. Most, if not all, of the best pressings I own are bog standard c. 120g

Sometimes of course, you have no choice - re-issues etc

1 Like

I would simply return it. However, as they are very careful about storage, I’ve not bought a warped record from Probe in the 7 years I’ve been in Liverpool. I’ve had misspressings and other issues which were all dealt with on the spot.

This leaves aside the satisfaction of not giving my money to some tax-dodging, slave-driving, minimum wage, zero hours contract cunts, when I can give it to the lads in Probe, who look after their customers very carefully, and run a lovely little record shop.

I like record shops.

5 Likes

Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense. Waste of material

1 Like

New releases are all on it. I wish they’d stop tbh.

4 Likes

I bought it in a record shop when i was working in London and didn’t open it til i got home.

I presume that air traffic control clearance for the quick return via Astra wasn’t available?

Annoying that, as it is a nice PiL record and not some shoddy flute laden lump of proggy nonsense that might yield some satisfaction were you to take a hammer to it to vent your frustration.

It’s always been a great shop, even 30 years ago

1 Like

Stick it in an oven.

Part of the Cartel and therefore partly responsible for the great boom in Independent (not Indie) Music in the 1980s and 1990s.

Lovely people too.

I was in a second hand record shop in Brighton recently when the owner drew my attention to some ‘new’ records he had in.

“Look at this” he said

“Rare Captain Beefheart album, recorded at the concert, live material on audiophile 180Gm vinyl”

“Shame it is still a crap bootleg quality recording- do they see these bloody audiophiles coming?”

Yes
Much like the power cable manufacturers :scream:

1 Like

FTFY

Tens of thousands of 50p CDs to rip while waiting for the vinyl thing to calm down - fill your server ‘till the majors go away again, I say.

1 Like

But digital isn’t as satisfying to listen to.

It’s better than warped LPs, half of ‘em made from digital anyway. Been buying records since 1970 but have stopped at the moment because of obvious problems. Moaning will not sort it but people voting with their wallets will - and quickly, I M O