Notes from a remote island

Mildly surprised that gound temperature already ok for concrete to set.

Best wishes with the roof.

It was an existing concrete slab that used to house an oil tank. I had it removed last weekend.

1 Like

Lovely. And a stable door too ! Are you getting a pony ? Are the wire loops projecting from the concrete so you can attach a couple of tie-down hawsers for blowy days :slight_smile: ?

VB

1 Like

It’s Lou’s potting shed that we brought up here from Hartlepool. The loops were to hold the plastic oil tank down. I’ve used concrete screws and lots of adhesive to hold the sub-base down and screwed the floor joists to them.

I used very many screws. Don’t want it ending up in Bergen!

3 Likes

Sure there are several her bright enough to estimate how many screws v another roof cost analysis.

Please note wind speeds in your estimation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, after a long delay on the music room front work started on Friday and it’s full speed ahead to get it done in the next few weeks.

Stud walling has started to appear and old draughty stone walls are being ‘pointed’ with expanding foam. New timber columns are replacing old knackered ones to support the trusses and eventually there will be a concrete floor after I ditched the idea of a suspended one (for obvious acoustic purposes)

Some pics of the progress which I’ll try to update daily

2 Likes

2 Likes

15 Likes

Todays progress. Studding to yesterdays ‘pointed’ wall and round the corner to the back wall. More rudimentary expanding foam filler to stop the draughts and more studding along with another 4"x4" truss support.

Should get the back wall finished tomorrow and get a start on the final wall, then it’s insulated plasterboard.

7 Likes

Might be worth thinking about placing a few short pieces of timber between the stud wall and the stone wall, wedge them in. Just thinking it would increase the natural frequency of the stud wall so it doesn’t have a tendency to vibrate at lower frequencies.

I wouldn’t. You will get coupling between the two walls, of both sound and temperature.
Keep them separate, and when you insulate, leave an air gap, between the inner and outer walls.
The stud walls, having a bit of flex (loss) is a good thing.
Ideally, you would want to build, a room, inside a room, and have it decoupled from the external building.

A few small peices of timber won’t transfer heat from a stone wall to an inner stud wall. A free standing stud wall will have the acoustic properties of a harbeth cab😀

1 Like

I guess it depends how well damped the stud wall, as a membrane, is. If it’s flexible (unbraced to the outside wall) but there’s not enough loss to damp it critically (or close to) then it will act as a soundboard, like a piano’s, and influence the sound. If it’s as stiff as concrete then it will act as a reflector, although to be honest it will probably be a pretty good reflector independent of what Paul does to it.

I wouldn’t worry about sound to/from the outside wall. It’s not as if the Westway runs anywhere near, so the amount of sound coming in via all that stonework shouldn’t be large, and as for sound going out, well, how near are the neighbours exactly ?

VB

I wasn’t planning any coupling with the stone wall. The stud work is very stiff and the covering membrane will be 63mm ‘Kingspan’ insulated plasterboard (already here) The gap between the stone and the insulation varies from about 4" to 12" due to the random form of the stonework and also the fact that the stone walls taper in slightly as they rise towards the top.

The finish will just be emulsion paint apart from the exposed rafters and trusses which will be treated with a protective stain.

Floor will be screeded on top of the existing solid concrete floor but on more than one level as there would be too much to make up if I tried to finish it all at the same level and I’ve ruled out a suspended floor.

There’ll be a lot of Reynobond PE panels available soon at a good price. I was wondering how they’d do bonded together as a 301 plinth.

Pretty flaming good, I would have thought

8 Likes

About three cars a day pass here, so no traffic noise to worry about. Nearest neighbour is 100 yds away.

Your challenge is to annoy them with your music

1 Like

2 Likes