Notes from a remote island

Cheers for all the comments guys. To answer a few questions,

the size of the room that I’ll end up with will be about 27’ x 20’ the only downside is the ceiling height, which will be vaulted and with an average height of only 7’ :confused: Treatment required!

It will be my existing stereo that is going in there.

No plans for big horns, my small ones will have to do, for now

Unless you fly here, travel by road and ferry takes 2 days - the Aberdeen ferry alone is 12-14 hours (dependant on weather and if it stops at Orkney)

Plenty of notice will be given for a road trip type bake off :smiley:

The shopping issue is a one eyed Herring - Materialize your needs from the comfort of your monastic haven.

Garotte the golden ratio in terms of listening room acoustics. The damp stink issue is also not to be sniffed at. I’ve had similar issues and found a solution which solves all of the above whilst balancing my chi boosting my kundelini and giving me a firm point from which to affix my sex swing. Several tent poles a bit of tarps and an Ozone generator are more than adequate.

3 Likes

This has all the hallmarks of a classic AA thread - good job so far Paul. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve listened to Shetland and Faroese fisherman conversing happily in a Lerwick pub.
Couldn’t understand a single word, nor the sentence structure.

If you ever thought Sunderland was in the North. :slight_smile:

The local dialect is far removed from Scotch - hi Brian :smiley: but you get used to it. Traditional Shetland twang is another story though!

Are you in the Shetlands? Was up there just before xmas visiting the coastguard, weather despite being cold was really nice, some of the guys even went for a swim in the sea.

Yes, Fetlar

https://goo.gl/maps/tbwSKqCRD762

Tell me you live in Funzie,

Not IN Funzie, but very close. Aithness to be precise

It’s the southern facing peninsula between Funzie and Houbie

Funzie in the region of Pantzie?

1 Like

Mind garden shattered, only on a night out will you be able to become the Fonzie of Funzie.

6 Likes

Some hard work gone in there already !

Glad it is all working out for you both Paul.

A road trip up (once all the hard work is done…natch) would be fantastic, although it would resemble an Ealing Comedy. :slight_smile:

40 fiddlers won’t be to all tastes.
But like much music within a limited space, it can drive one.
Choral playing is the joy IME

1 Like

Some of the local music is quite interesting. I need to hear more of it

Room acoustics don’t have to be expensive or imported. Using everyday things about the house can break up standing waves very effectively.

Note the sonic ‘struts’ which deflect rather well

Shelves and racking can be most effective

Toilet roll holder bass trap and radiator defuser

7 Likes

Some Fetlar scenery, just to show that it isn’t all wild

This our local beach, 200 yards away

The nicest beach is a mile away at Tresta

15 Likes

It must be like that scene from the end of Planet of the Apes where Charlton Heston and the bint who doesn’t talk ride off into nowhere at the edge of civilisation up there

(Photo of Paul and his missus on the beach yesterday)

1 Like

Or this

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/MshYXDHjiTXLYkoP0tTvUpiZnHA/fit-in/2048xorig/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2016/06/14/918/n/1922283/7d9caa97_MSDDIAN_EC001_H/i/Die-Another-Day.JPG

2 Likes

Some cute venues thereabouts.

I remember a programme a while back that was doing testing around Britian to find out what the genetic background was and The Shetland and Orkney islands were almost pure Norse.

Not a total surprise but the percentages shocked even the scientists.